Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

quinn character sculpt

hey guys, i decided to start a thread for a character sculpt i'm doing. i chose Quinn from League of Legends, since i think her concept art is way cooler than the ingame model. plus she's awesome. i just finished blocking in the main armour bits. this is my first character sculpt and my first full blown zbrush project. i'm 15 and learning as i go, and that leaves me with so many questions! i appreciate any feedback and input.

question: in zbrush, how the hell do i get symmetry working on a subtool that i've moved and rotated? using s.pivot gets it working, but my subtool gets moved to the centre. bluh.

concept art (by ironstylus):

erUz5v4.png

currently:
NFIhcaw.jpg

rough sketch of the main bits:

tumblr_nlglwpMe7T1tz0ck6o2_r1_1280.png

Replies

• and_im_javert
    tumblr_nlikagGCtS1tz0ck6o1_1280.png

blocked in the shoulder today. wish i could get symmetry working on it :s
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hi there!
    Little suggestion to help you out.
    Currently most of your mesh, especially the armor look kind of ''muddy''
    This happens a lot when trying to work on a mesh that is too highrez.
    Seems like you are currently not using any basemesh and stuff that should be kind of hard surface and polished surface look very organic and made of clay.
    I would suggest you making basemesh in the 3d package of your choice (maya-3dsmax-blender or whatever you are using) and then applying creases in Zbrush to get that very clean polished look.
  • and_im_javert
    Tits wrote: »
    Hi there!
    Little suggestion to help you out.
    Currently most of your mesh, especially the armor look kind of ''muddy''
    This happens a lot when trying to work on a mesh that is too highrez.
    Seems like you are currently not using any basemesh and stuff that should be kind of hard surface and polished surface look very organic and made of clay.
    I would suggest you making basemesh in the 3d package of your choice (maya-3dsmax-blender or whatever you are using) and then applying creases in Zbrush to get that very clean polished look.

thanks for the tips! i was a little concerned over the clay/wobbliness but just assumed that would be fixed when i went over and polished the pieces :p
    would it be too difficult to do that? i was sort of following Michael Pavlovich's videos where he does a messy blockout of the shapes and then refines them, but i think you're right in that i started too high poly. over relying on the move brush probably contributed too, haha. where do you think should i go from now in terms of fixing that? retopo or just straight up rebuild the shapes in Maya?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Well if you are confortable and positive you can polished it to a final look all in zbrush following Michael's video then go for it.
    I personally find it kind of hard to get the cleaness of shape I want that way but it's all about personnal preference and finding the workflow that works the best for you!
    So if that works for you, please go ahead!
  • and_im_javert
    Tits wrote: »
    Well if you are confortable and positive you can polished it to a final look all in zbrush following Michael's video then go for it.
    I personally find it kind of hard to get the cleaness of shape I want that way but it's all about personnal preference and finding the workflow that works the best for you!
    So if that works for you, please go ahead!

alright, cheers. i'll keep the blockmesh technique in mind for shapes that would just be easier to achieve in a modelling program. really appreciate the comment, thank you!
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey nice choice of chacater! I personaly agree with Tits, I find diffficult fix this "muddy" apect of the armor on zbrush, but zBrush retopology could help in this case ... I use this some times in small pieces of armors or mechanic parts it helps me a lot... :thumbup:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyFZFyK3UVU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyFZFyK3UVU[/ame]
  • and_im_javert
    some more progress! i took Tit's advice and just imported some bases from Maya for her bird glove thing, since that wouldve been easier to just model there :)
    for the helmet, i attempted a retopo. there's some pinching and its not great, but i learnt a lot and will try again. thanks to karytsukino for the video, really helpful.
    for now i gotta figure out panel loops, and how to get the indentation on the top bit of quinn's helmet.

tumblr_nlo65qrEjk1tz0ck6o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nlo65qrEjk1tz0ck6o2_1280.png
  • and_im_javert
    sooo.... this is kinda old but i came back to it. i polished it up a lot and am still playing with proportions. trying to make her look tougher!! trying.
    and then i can go into retopo yay

NFIhcaw.jpg