Home Adobe Substance

Curvature Map

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ToRuKMactO polycounter lvl 6
Hello Guys, I was wondering how a Curvature map supposed to look like to work properly on Substance Painter, should it be 1-0 Black & White like a Mask ??? Should it get gray values ??? The edges masks should be light or dark ???

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It should be greyscale with the edges lighter and creases darker. You can bake it directly in Substance Painter if you want to be sure it will work correctly.
  • ToRuKMactO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Jerc, thank you for your time, I am just new using Curvature maps, My workflow right now consist in using baked normal map edges so I baked just my LowPoly in Substance Designer and I got almost a correct Baked but a bad look I guess
    Sci_Fi01.jpg

I also tried baking with my normal map as input, and I got some errors(I guess) on my 90 degrees split edges
    Sci_Fi_Normal.jpg
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Make sure you selected the right format for your normal map (DirectX/OpenGL).
  • ToRuKMactO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you chief, I changed for OpenGl and it's worked just fine, but If I baked this model in Xnormal using +X +Y +Z, Shouldn´t it be a directx Format ???
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Y+ Is OpenGL, Y- is DirectX. :)
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey to add onto this, does Substance Designer have the ability to bake curvature maps from high to low? Also a second question would be can I use a normal map baked from a high poly and create a curvature map from the normal map? Would this map be of the same quality as a high to low curvature map? Sorry for hijacking his thread, but I have some very similar questions and I don't want to make another thread on the exact same topic. Thanks, Samm :)