Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Demo overhaul

MonkeyMadness
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MonkeyMadness polycounter lvl 2
Hi Everyone,

So, I was at the GDC and received some great suggestions. Now that the dust has settled, I am ready to overhaul my demo reel. I am curious, after you watch my demo, is there anything you think could be fixed on the current pieces; or perhaps something my reel is lacking and a type of piece you think I should add. Perhaps there is a piece you think should be cut altogether...

Bottom line, it needs work; I am looking for general opinions so I can figure out where I need to go. Thanks for your time!

[vv]100594848[/vv]

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Hey man, Welcome to the forums!

You`re heading in the right direction. I feel right now, you just have to push your stuff further. For instance, that first attack, I feel it could be much snappier. the build up is fine, but really throw his weight into it. you could cut the frames in half (at least) for how quick that hand reaches out (the whole body, not just the hand). Also, the presentation of this shot is way too long. If you want to show different angles, that's great. But you dont need to show the action twice from every angle. I would even suggest lining the clips up side by side so you see the action from all angles in one shot. But at the very least, cut it down to 1 action per shot.

The 2 guys helping each other over the wall, i think you have too many pauses where they don't do much. I`d love to see more overlap and constant movement. That action is all about balance, and balancing takes a lot of subtle, and not so subtle movement.

But ya, definitely on the right track. But do keep pushing that timing. It will make a huge difference. Push it further than you`re willing to go. You can always pull it back if you dont like it.

Also, to embed your video, copy just the number from the end of your link and put the [ vv] [ /vv] tags at the ends (minus the spaces in them)
  • MonkeyMadness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonkeyMadness polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome insight. Yeah, I am always a bit conservative on pushing too far, I am definitely working on that. Thanks for the advice!

(and thanks for updating me on the embed code!)