Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation reel, High- and Low poly

[vv]120071448[/vv]
http://vimeo.com/120071448

http://sites.google.com/site/andrewlinden3d/

Hello! The low poly knights were inspired by the awesome VG Remix contest featured here on Polycount some time ago and I have been looking forward to posting them here! Thanks for checking the stuff out and any feedback appreciated.

Replies

• Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Connecta polycounter lvl 7
    Hi! Nice reel! I'll try to give you some feedback - but feel free to disregard it:)

Your name in the beginning disappears really quick, would recommend you to either have a black screen with your name in the beginning or add your name somewhere always visible during the reel.

The sound level is kinda off, either the music in the start is to high or the Math-character's sound is way low... Couldn't really hear what he said.
    I felt that he had some weird poses as well, mainly when he "falls" (at 00:21) and when he exclaims "Why is it...", they both seem too rigid/mechanical.

In the final scene I have no idea what's going on, but that's the purpose I guess?:D
    The tail on the T-rex is too stiff, give it some more follow-through.

And finally I would suggest switching place on the Trex-scene with the sword-fighting. People tend to say that you want to start on your best and end with the second-best (or is it the other way around?) and increase the end-screen (name n stuff) with some seconds.

I gave it a try, hope it helps:)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    AGreed with everything connecta said. I`d also add in that it would be nice to have better rendering. The black background is kind of dull and, well, sad. haha. Plus it hides some things. Brighten up your render. Go for a mid-toned grey or something.

Also, the sword fight, zoom in... It's one of your better pieces and you can barely see it.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Theres not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

I have to stress that the black backgrounds are a huge no-no. It makes it extremely difficult to see any subtleties in your work, and it also gives off an extremely student vibe, regardless of how great the animation is.

Keep up the good work man!
  • Ankattakk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Very valuable feedback!
  • Ankattakk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, that was some damn fine feedback, I heeded almost all of it. The updated video is reached via the old link!

Felt good getting rid of those black backgrounds, improved a lot I think. As did zooming in on the knights, I got so used watching it all in fullscreen on a large monitor. Makes a whole lot of sense to keep it watchable in smaller formats, I don't even watch reels in fullscreen myself. =)
    Also, I did some additional animation on the alien octopus in the helicopter and on the T-rex tail (mostly dynamics provided by the rig though).

Hope the new song works, can't have enough hi-hats with the movie Whiplash winning Oscars and all. =)
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Connecta polycounter lvl 7
    Yo! It felt a lot more professional now:)
    I'm afraid that you might have gone overboard with the T-rex tail though - it feels like a balloon or jelly-tail now...
    Just noticed the Bob Hund icon in the background, nice:)
  • egymer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! Thought i'd try and help and throw in my 2 cents :)

Stewart hammer thing - really not sure what this situation is, obviously one guy has a hammer, the other a nail but bit confusing why they're so big and walk down tiny planks? But either way. Watch out for the obvious IK sticking on the wall hand. With hammer guy, if it was that heavy to lift off of the peg, he should spend more time +anticipation lifting it off of the hook, before becoming unbalanced with the weight of it. Also it's unlikely that he wouldn't move around more to try and rebalance himself with the weight, he's completely stuck to the floor. Try and get someone to push you until you feel unbalanced, and try standing on the same spot, it's really difficult.

Not sure where the second guy got the hammer from, it doesn't look like he's moved and there was no indication before he needed a hammer? Not sure what he's trying to hold onto either - a loose switch in the wall? Kinda odd. Watch out for the moment where he lifts the hammer off of himself to try and hit the nail - the weight and the posing feels off.

Acting scene- The first thing i notice is that the lighting is really odd, and you also don't need to start that far back, we just want to see your animation. The acting + weight of your character, again needs work. I would suggest filming yourself doing it, and really checking to see if you can make some of the poses your creating, and if you would move in those ways. I think some of your problem is the center of gravity of the character, and the timing in which he moves his legs. I would also suggest just looking at the legs and the hips, and trying to get the pacing of the character walking back and forth to look right, before you worry about the acting + hands on top.

the trex scene is also a bit odd, and doesn't show off much of your animation skills or talent. But it's nicely presented. Is it supposed to be someone's toys or..?

Okay the solider fighting stuff is pretty impressive. Fighting is extremely challenging to pull off, and it's the best thing on the reel so far. I would try and push this as much as possible- really check the arcs in the arms. Watch out for the elbows and wrist locking at weird angles. Some of the timing could also use work.

Sorry if this seems like a massive spam of critique- seriously well done for getting it all together into a reel. It's hard to present our work like this, because we always find flaws in our work. Keep going with it, you'll be just fine :D.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    To defend the hammers, and use of them pretty certain they are just being used as it's an exercise in weighting and they are just arbitrary heavy objects that showcase Andrew's skill in hand keying animation with accurate weight and balance.
  • SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperSoupy polycounter lvl 5
    Nice! There's room for growth but this is a promising reel. Here's a couple of things that i picked up on:

The very first thing that you see after the opening titles is an animation that is very unclear to me. Once the guys are shown holding hammers I get it then, it's a weight piece. But before that, I'm not sure what the first guy is doing qwith that nail or why he shakes. I'd be tempted to cut that part and focus purely on the hammer piece.

With the Knights fighting, careful with the huge sword swings. Their bodies seem very planted when they swing, the spines in particular seem to only rotate side-to-side, and as a whole it makes the anims look a lot more rigid and flat than they should be. The timing is nice, I think you need to take another look at some of those poses though.

Keep it up. This is some interesting work! :-)