Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM- The Forest Throne- si-man

si-man
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
si-man polycounter lvl 5
Hey all, jumping in a bit late, but lets see if I can get something together in time!!

Replies

• si-man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    si-man polycounter lvl 5
    Right, so Ive been workin on this for a couple of weeks already but havent got around to postin anythin yet!!
    The direction i decided to go in was a rustic, medeival style throne room carved out of a cave. I wanted to think about the people who built this place, and I thought of them as quite an earthly set of people, tribal, like Celts. They would worship nature, celebrate the world they live in and depend on to live. I also wanted to move in a slightly elfish direction, and had the idea of a Throne room that aims to emulate the natural world it presides in, with stone pillars carved to look like trees, their branching canopys arching over to form the ceiling, and a large living tree at the centre with gnarled roots that warp to form a seat. I started off by sketchin up a few ideas whilst I though about this....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    This is a beautiful idea.
  • si-man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    si-man polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks noscope!! Ive been tryin to push this project forward in my spare time, but life has a way of keep me busy!! Ive got 2 whole days this weekend to try and get this done, so I better keep moving!!
    My next step was to think about mood and lighting. I had quite a strong idea in my mind what I wanted, but having a bit of concept is always handy to shine a light along the way!

wip1d.jpg
  • si-man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    si-man polycounter lvl 5
    I also put together a quick giff to illustrate how the dynamic light in the scene would bring the space to life through the flickering flames and light coming throught the water falling between the arches.

caveroom2small.gif

Oh yeah! the idea was that the Forest Throne was carved into a cliff side, with a water fall running behind the arched windows that make up the exposed part of the throne room. Stone brackets would sit inside the arches and divert the water to form 'windows'.
  • si-man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    si-man polycounter lvl 5
    The pillars would form the back bone of this environment, so decided to start there. I made a base mesh in 3dsMax to establish the main shape, which I threw into mudbox to sculpt in the large surface details.

4.jpg

pillar_tree_4.png

pillar_tree_5.png