Home General Discussion

What's the most efficient modeling workflow?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Judgement45 polycounter lvl 6
I've been making models for games on and off for some time now, but I'm wondering if there are some resources out there for more efficient workflows.

What would be the fastest way to create models for games from modeling, UV layout, texturing, etc. I'm more interested in props than characters or anything else.

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Probably a thousand different threads on workflows and techniques, normally they do not touch from start to finish, but just in the wiki itself there is a great knife tutorial made by a fellow polycounter that goes over his workflow in 3DSMX from modeling from concept to textured asset ready for engine. Tutorials on 3DMotive, Digital Tutors, Gnomon, etc are all great places to start as well.

"efficient" workflows are entirely personal preference and depend on your own speed in such apps. My workflow is concept > Maya > UV Layout or UV in Maya (depending on if I have access to UV layout and the size of asset, sometimes a quick unwrap in maya is quicker) > Xnormal bake if I am using a HP > Texturing in Photoshop with support of quixel suite if needed, nDo is my greatest tool in this aspect, DDO can be of help if in a time crunch.

Rendering I usually use UE4 or Marmoset Toolbag2. Toolbag is definitely the easiest to get a single prop looking its best, the fastest. for entire scenes I rely on UE4, and it is also free. Toolbag2 is 129 if you are not upgrading from toolbag1, which in that case it is $85. Toolbag2 and quixel suite are worth every penny, and starting to become industry standard tools when building assets.

Really up to you to build your own pipeline though, and just getting exposure to every piece of software you can early on. Learning the fundamentals like modeling, UV'ing, baking, and texturing/materials is key, then the software is just a tool at that point. Anyone that is great in say Maya, could spend minimal amount of time and jump over to Max or Modo with some dedication. The process is the same, just different tools within the modeling suites.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What would be the fastest way...

While speed and iteration is important in a production environment, focusing on speed only is not always the most appropriate way to tackle things. I'd say, take your time first, and then gradually refine your workflow. A good way to do so would be to study the work of your favorite modelers, and try to understand how they did things ; that way, little by little, you'll build your own set of shortcuts and tricks.

It's just like with drawing : laying down one clear, deliberate and carefully prepared stroke is more efficient than scribbling super fast all over the place :)

For starters, you could begin by streamlining the most fundamentals things you can think of. Like, how long does it take to merge two verts to their center ? Adding a loop ? Splitting an edge ? If any of these actions take more than the press of a button, then this is what you should start optimizing first.
  • Judgement45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Judgement45 polycounter lvl 6
    Tidal, I really enjoyed the video and now have a new artist to follow. Thank you for the info.

Add3r and pior, Great advice and thank you for the tips. I'll keep working on improving the workflow. Thanks for taking the time.