Home Adobe Substance

Substance designer 4 lag..

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ryandec polycounter lvl 8
I bought substance designer like 4 days ago on steam and it seems to be really laggy, I am working with 2048 textures, everything is linked in resources too, just seems to take ages to do anything if I changing setting on like dust or dirt for example if I change the dirt level or grunge level the program freezes and takes 10 seconds to come back with the changed setting, any ideas on problem would be helpful! thanks!

Replies

• oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    If you are on OSX, this may be due to an issue in Designer 5.0 which should be resolved in version 5.0.2 in a couple days.
  • Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on windows 7, 64 bit I searched on google loads to see if there was any others having issues, but it doesn't seem so, so i'm really not sure what it is. oh and im using subtance 4.6.2, bloody bought it not realizing 5 just came out -_- and it seems there isn't a way to upgrade from 4
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on windows 7, 64 bit
    Ah. So that's something different then. What's your hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM) ?
    and it seems there isn't a way to upgrade from 4
    As far as I know you can update to 5 for free if you have bought 4 after January 1st 2015. Just send an email to contact[at]allegorithmic.com and they will tell you how to proceed. Give them a couple days to answer though, I think they got buried under tons of email in the past few days.
  • Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CPU is intel core I7-3610qm @ 2.3GHZ
    I have 16gb RAM, ddr3 i think
    directX11
    GPU is GTX 675M, 4GB.

I think it should be ok on that right?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Your specs are well above the ideal specs for SD, you should be fine. I would indeed recommend sending us an email so we can upgrade you to 5.0 and see if it solves the performance issue.
  • Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sent an email over the weekend, so hopefully I'll get a reply today or tomorrow.
  • Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I got given a copy on substance 5, yet it seems that the lag or slow problems still occur, its basically like every time I click on a node, drag a node into the graph area, its like at least 2-3 secs before anything happens, the same goes from the sliders for editing, for example the dirt node would also take like 5 secs to show the results.. as u can imagine its extremely annoying it basically makes everything take waaaay longer to see results and tweaking stuff is a nightmare. Is it something to do with me being on 64 bit system? and also i'm running it through steam, anyway i'll try to figure it out but any help is appreciated, thanks!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you take a look at the task manager while SD is running and see if you see anything suspect when it comes to the CPU usage?
    64bits should not be an issue, SD is 64 bits only now, and Steam shouldn't be an issue either.
    Also, try disabling your antivirus software. I remember having some lag issues due to the antivirus scanning things after every action in SD.
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you open the log in "C\Users\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\log.txt" and search for a line that begins with "[INFO][GlWidget]" ? It should indicate what graphics card your laptop is trying to run Designer with. We have seen issues with some NVidia drivers that were not properly signed, resulting in the application refusing to use the dedicated graphics card and trying to run on the integrated graphics unit instead. In any case, can you make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date, as well as the intel integrated graphics drivers (can't hurt)?
  • Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to disable my anti-virus but didn't seem to make much difference. here is a screenshot of substance in task manager it seems to stay around the same, but it slightly goes up when I change sliders. also some of my nodes has a high ms it seems, not sure what that means, but the dirt node has 302ms and moss weathering has 441ms.

m89aUqI.jpg

Here is the first four lines of the GLwidget text.

[INFO][GlWidget] Graphic Card:
    [INFO][GlWidget] Type: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 675M/PCIe/SSE2
    [INFO][GlWidget] Available Memory: 2 GB
    [INFO][GlWidget] GL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.52
    [INFO][GlWidget] GLSL Version: 450
    [INFO][GlWidget] Capabilities:

My drivers are all up to date.