Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ceremonial Shield or Gong ..Thingy

cb!
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
cb! polycounter lvl 15
So today I am doing something I don't normally do a whole bunch. But this year I plan on posting more often. .. I've been a long time poly counter, I, to be honest, spend a lot of my time in the polycount hangouts but only posting once in a blue moon but today I felt the need to start this thread to help me push this project to the finished state.

Here we go!
So with all the new changes occurring in the game industry I have adopted a new workflow.So with that said at the end of last year I picked up Substance Designer and Substance painter.

Since then I've been working in the lab the last couple months and wanted to show some early results with Substance Painter

Original concept art:
http://artyomvlaskin.cgsociety.org/art/928304

layout1_c_sheild_1000.jpg

layout2_C_sheild_1000.jpg

Replies

• cb!
    Offline / Send Message
    cb! polycounter lvl 15
    Here is a additional screen grab from substance painter :

enjoi

testscreenshot.jpg
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, that texture work is looking really gorgeous! I'm still new to Substance myself, and I'm wondering what tools you seemed to gravitate towards.

Also, it looks like you strayed from the concept quite a bit. It still looks really good, but after seeing the concept I would have liked to have seen all of those Celtic designs in there as well.
  • cb!
    Offline / Send Message
    cb! polycounter lvl 15
    Joltya wrote: »
    Wow, that texture work is looking really gorgeous! I'm still new to Substance myself, and I'm wondering what tools you seemed to gravitate towards.

Also, it looks like you strayed from the model quite a bit. It still looks really good, but after seeing the concept I would have liked to have seen all of those Celtic designs in there as well.

Yea i thought about that this morning while posting it . I still have space on the model to do it as it was the original plan. And i also thought that given the new texturing direction those designs could be a burn tainted gold or something like tat. The verdict is still out on it but thanks for commenting ..

cheers
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Place the scratches and edgewear where it would naturally be, it seems to be all over the place now. I know substance painter uses a curvature map for that, but try painting out where it doesn't belong. Not every edge would get wear evenly across the whole object, which makes it look generated. Otherwise, very cool looking asset! Splash some dirt, mud, blood on it for interest, so it's not all metal ;]
  • cb!
    Offline / Send Message
    cb! polycounter lvl 15
    razz wrote: »
    Place the scratches and edgewear where it would naturally be, it seems to be all over the place now. I know substance painter uses a curvature map for that, but try painting out where it doesn't belong. Not every edge would get wear evenly across the whole object, which makes it look generated. Otherwise, very cool looking asset! Splash some dirt, mud, blood on it for interest, so it's not all metal ;]

@razz
    Good thoughts .. I will paint out some of the edge wear so that its not everywhere thanks for the comments
  • fadox
    Nice work so far, i'm working on the same concept art atm ^^
    I'll take a seat here ;)
    Gonna give a try to that substance suite, it seems to give some magical power texturing :D
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I think you really oughta go all the way with the concept.
  • cb!
    Offline / Send Message
    cb! polycounter lvl 15
    Kaine123 wrote: »
    I think you really oughta go all the way with the concept.

Yea there somethings about the original that will sneak back in .. thanks for the comments