Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal Tournament - Outpost23

Replies

• Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    That was hell lot of work guys, but it payed off! Great stuff!
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Incredible map. I like the style too - pure colors with subtle indirect lighting but with sharp small lights placed here and there. (It's like this great moment when a level is lit with Lightmass and looks beautiful, not worsened by textures yet :D)

BTW. Why do you always fill holes in mesh modules? I saw this practice in a GoW art dump too. Is it a safety measure for light bleeding problems or something else?

o2pGmg8.png
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Looooving it ! <3
    (I especially like the vista and how it fits so well with the rest of the level.)
  • XRA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRA
    Avvi wrote: »
    BTW. Why do you always fill holes in mesh modules? I saw this practice in a GoW art dump too. Is it a safety measure for light bleeding problems or something else?

curious about that too, I'm not very familiar with modular environment art and starting to look for best practices..
    I'd think it would use up extra space in the lightmaps & add more unseen geo?
    Or if lightmapping this geo, does the mesh have UV2's made (instead of auto-unwrapping) where the capped geo gets shrunk to a point?
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    *puts on his fake mustache* I shall steal all your secrets and make them my own ;)
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I just spent over an hour looking at every corner in this map. Sooo nice. The materials are spot-on and it runs very smooth. Good variety with interior lighting too, the orange/cyan combo is very nice.
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    [HP]: hopefully the video was a little entertaining hehe

Hatred: thanks dude!

Avvi: thanks man. Its a combination of helping with light bleeding, as well as just being clean too. Triangle counts arent that big of an issue in UE4 anymore. We have like 8 or 9 million in Outpost23, which is pretty huge for a MP I think.

Froyok: :) Thanks! I mentioned to Anton that he should post some nice screens of the awesome landscape he did.

XRA: If its just a capped end piece, I just shrink it down in the lightmap, yep

Zaragoth: You will be hunted down!

danpaz3d: thanks man!
  • filthy_sandwich
    I love how you're replying to everyone, it truly warms my heart...
    Then I shake it off, jump into this level and start decimating opponents with the Flak Cannon
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    8-9 milion... hmmm :D that's impressive. thx for replying
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    A good job to handsome-hands-Kincaid too! That's a good lookin drill. xD

Seriously tho, beautiful env!
  • /anty/
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    Well, Josh finally convinced me to post environment)) To be honest it was not that simple to show it in any interesting way on static picture))) As well I always seen here and there something I wanted to finish, to polish or change, but had no time..))) But well this is vista)) It runs fast, it works visually with this amazing level Josh and Rick made, and I was really happy making something for UT
    I always loved UT and played hundreds of hours in the past, so having chance to participate for new UT was really amazing experience.Panno.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • /anty/
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    World machine to generate ground meshes, and base textures, I think I had 3 base models, after I had layout done I merge groups of meshes to large clusters and export to max for optimization ( manual + pro-optimizer) There nothing fancy there, had not much time for everything.
    Only one interesting thing to mention - fake lighting on ground and water. Technically it is just texture projection from camera view trough simple flat meshes to anything behind those meshes. It uses World Position behind Translucency for projection of modulated color for "lighting" This was way more flexible way to add localized "lighting" then using actual lighting or lightfunction.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Incredible work, easily the best looking UT map ever created so far.
    Now move on to Torlan!
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Absolutely gorgeous! Love the aesthetic though I really hope you guys plan to bring back the huge open maps of UT3 with the hoverboard. I think Vehicle CTF and Warfare are my favorite game modes for UT. I agree with Damian, Torlan was my favorite map!

I seem to remember Kevin Johnson mentioning that they decided to always model the back faces of meshes during the development of Gears 2 because you never know how an artist is going to re-use a mesh and having open faces meant the mesh could only be used in one way.
  • AuntieJamima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AuntieJamima polycounter lvl 5
    Is there a UE4 map that I can download that has all the asset pieces laid out like you show in this video? [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLPKxHox75I[/ame]