Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel - Looking for feedback

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
BurningIce polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, I just wanted to share my current demo reel here and get some opinions on the presentation and the animations themselves.

http://youtu.be/fcSmpqSGtD0

Thanks

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Hey there! Thanks for sharing your reel!

I think you've got some decent stuff in there, but also a whole lot of stuff that has no right being on your reel.

First, your reel is over 4 minutes long. That right there is a huge no no. Unless you have years of experience with nothing but high end animations to show, your reel should be 2 minutes, MAX. And even that is pretty long. Most range from 30-90 seconds.

You want to show only your best work, with your absolutely best piece first. The last half of your reel doesn't compare to the first half in terms of quality, so get rid of it. The textured army guys at the start, and the dragon are probably your best pieces. But the dragon doesnt need a zoomed out and zoomed in shot of the flight. Do 1 camera that you can see all of it. Otherwise you`re just wasting valuable demo reel time. Just like your biped attack cycles. Showing so many different views one after another is not only boring and an attention killed to the viewer, but it wastes time. Have all 4 views in one shot, side by side, 2 at the top, 2 below. Or, just pick the best view to show it once or twice. I do like the spider-type thing towards the end, but the feet feel off. Are the front legs and back legs on different timing? Does it cycle properly, or did you just extend the timeline while it was on infinity mode? Seems off to me.

Also, contact info... Get some on there. If someone finds your reel, without your email or something on the title card, you`re just making it difficult for them to get in contact with you if they want to hire you.

As I said, some good stuff, but some bad stuff as well. Get rid of the bad. Dont be afraid to trim older pieces. If you have professional experience, student work should no longer be on your reel. That's usually a good place to start trimming.
  • BurningIce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BurningIce polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'll definitely look into trimming some time from the reel, it always did feel a bit bloated, but there's that voice that tells you to put in everything you can.

As far as the spider thing, yeah, the legs are purposely off stride, the little ones would have to take more steps to keep up with the big ones.
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Yea slipsius is on point regarding length.

I kinda wished the two swat guys would start making out but you can't have it all I guess.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah trim it down!
    Not a fan of the two swat guys messing around, if I was you, delete it.
    Lots of good stuff there, some animations are repeated in different camera angles, just choose one perspective or two 2 angles in a single shot. If the view wants to see it again, he'll happily rewind. So one camera angle will suffice I'd say.

I look forward to the much shorter version, then we can talk about your animations! :poly142: