Star wars ATAT & SNowspeeder

downarmy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
downarmy polycounter lvl 7
Hi

I created the ATAT and snowspeeder from Empire Strikes back

Its all rendered in Marmoset 2.

Texture all created with substance designer and substance painter.

I am wondering if i should bring it in Ue 4 and make a real environment, but i fear learning how terrain works in ue4.

Hope you like it Crits are always welcome

ATAT2_zpsxf8hg1uj.jpg

ATAT_zpsysoswpif.jpg

T47_snowspeeder_zpsnjickspw.jpg

T47_snowspeeder_2_zpsqikyrdyi.jpg

Replies

• downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
  • D.L.Life
    Offline / Send Message
    D.L.Life polycounter lvl 8
    I'm just starting out and don't know much but i think its a great job.
  • james01
    downarmy wrote: »
    Any crits?

The gloss on the ATAT is too high. It should have a matte finish.

The Snowspeeders texture looks like it is only half completed.

I'd get rid of the base for display reasons. It's better to render the final models individually up close.
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 15
    Personally I wanna see some wireframes. :)
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    I created a little video off my model hope you guys like it there is some wireframe in there.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2njvu2_atat-final-1080_creation
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The snow on the legs is a bit too much in my opinion. The material on the ATAT is looking too glossy as well. Try and make the details and shapes on the ATAT recessed and pop out more. It's looking pretty flat.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    very cool! i think is a great start! but those materials bro! you need to really rework those,they dont read like they should im not getting metal from the images your showing.

really focus and hone your material definition, that is what is keeping this piece from being great. your almost there, push it a bit more man!

like your walker reads as one material when there are multiple, like you have snow and steel and what i presume is glass, the red bit on the walker

and then the snow speeder looks exactly like the walker, when you have like painted metal, and burned metal and etc...

can you share the maps you are plugging into maroset?
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    It looks pretty good in the video, but what really matters is your stills. No one wants to watch a 2 minute video of your 3d model unless its animating.

I agree with Cglewis that you need to get some better material definition--make the ATAT less glossy, change up your lighting to get some better shadows and I think the speeder needs some color variation in the body. I'd change the background color to be much darker and add some real lights to the scene instead of just using the skybox. You might want to bake some AO and pump that into the shader too.

The screens also have really bad compression so thats something to look into as well.
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with the comments as well. Your models look good, but I think your textures could use a bit of work. Also I'm not really loving your ground plane right now I think it could be a bit better IMO. It's looking a bit fuzzy and boring. Maybe add some footprints from the machine, that could be interesting, and make the snow look like the snow that's on the bottom of his "feet". I think the issue is the two snows are contrasting too much/aren't the same style so it's looking a bit odd. It also doesn't necessarily make sense that he's walking on flat snow but there is snow splashed up on his so high, maybe add a snow pile or two/make the terrain more than just flat. And keep workin' those metals!
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone i took the critics onboard and i will be re-doing some texture, i will also bring it in ue4 for a bigger environment scene.

Started on the landscape in ue4.

aSpor2k.jpg
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    The snow speeder needs more detail, more character.

Here is a great example of a snow speeder by Ga
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks thats a nice one, anyway still working on this in the little free time that i have.

Here is my rebel turret

OsSooRb.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the background sky in the first shots you posted is the worst part, its so bright and flat and distracting that it makes the models look worse than they are.