Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kurog the Unbreakable - Orc Character Sculpt

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
cgartland polycounter lvl 11
Hey Polycount, working on an Orc pit fighter character as a final project in my Creature Modeling Class. I'll be posting progress here.

Here's a WIP sculpt
iRJSdAI.jpg
and just getting started on polypaint
VssIHzS.jpg

I still need to make him a weapon and figure out a pose

The end goal is to get him posed and rendered by the 18th

C+C appreciated

Replies

• TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Looking great!

What kind of character are you building? What sort of personality does he have? Some more character info would help us know what sort of character you are envisioning.
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His persona is cocky and aggressive, he is a gladiator-type fighter and good at what he does. Even though he's enslaved he gets personal satisfaction from fighting in the arena.

I sort of made him up as I sculpted so thats as far as the backstory goes
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hello Cgartland, great progress. I wanted to point out things, but again, it's hard to say where you want to go with it. I dig what you are doing, but if it was me, I would to get some more "orc" anatomy into him, like maybe getting his chest a bit more tight, not so much as a "superman", as you even said, upset/enslaved/sorta agressive. Get what I'm saying? Also, I see a lot of your wrinkles and muscles dont have the "fat" awareness on the sculpt. He's too stiff. When sculpting your muscles and wrinkles, a lot of the gravity is being forgotten there. Try making a different profile on your sculpt, add some claytubes on the bottom parts of your wrinkles, and then smooth the middle. Also, since he exercises and pulls the "weight", perhaps some thicker veins?

Hope that helps somehow.
  • AndyClark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyClark polycounter lvl 5
    This looks really great! Really like those exaggerated flexors and extensors on the forearm.

The two main places that stick out to me are the fat deposits on the brow and the quadricep anatomy.

The brow deposits don't seem to be based on human anatomy and appear quite lumpy. Usually, on humans, wrinkles appear closer and more localized to the supercilliary arch and glabella.

As for the leg, I can see the vastus lateralis and vastus medialis but the rectus femoris seems underdeveloped as I can only see a slight value change here.

Keep going, looking great.
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycount!

Here's the Render that I turned in as my final
    UJhkbmG.jpg
    and a front/back view
    9bGXKwI.jpg

My instructor suggested I either lift his arm higher a more dynamic pose or lower both his arms for a more relaxed position.

Thinking about stepping back to A pose and making a Game Rez out of this