Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: Using textures in masks is very grainy

I am trying to use a texture to add to my mask but it's only adding black or white to the mask, no gray in between. This results in very pixelated effects. I see no option to add any blur.

It seems to depend on the texture. I tried another and it managed to extract some gray but there are still very hard white pixels sticking out. If I could just apply a blur to it I'd get the result I want. I'd be afraid of manually trying to blur the texture since DDO will probably override my mask, if I can even find the texture itself.

Replies

• loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    You don't add blur. You can modify the contrast and tightness of the mask which I going to give you the result you want.
  • illYay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried tweaking those but they had no effect. For example, I was using the dirty steel material to add scratches to my material. No matter what values I tweaked, it would only be either only black or only white pixels coming through in a dithered pattern. There were no smooth gray gradients.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Are you talking about the Dynamask editor? If so maybe you can try to tweak the options in the "Post-process Options" at the bottom! Grey masks are absolutely possible, its just a matter of how hard you push Brightness / contrast controls!