Home Adobe Substance

Painter slowdown

BPanting
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BPanting polycounter lvl 3
I was working in Painter last night and I started running into problems with my strokes slowing way down and taking a long time to process. I am working with 2k maps, and my PC is pretty decent I think, so not sure what might cause that. Are there any things I should look into to try and fix this? It's at the point where is pretty unusable right now.

Replies

• Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I've experienced some slow down at times but nothing to that extreme. Do you have anything else open that could be eating away at your processor?
  • BPanting
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had max and PS open, but my processor and memory were not even at 50%. I tried shutting down and rebooting and I was still having the problem after that.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Please give a fully detailed hardware specifications, "pretty decent" is not precise en enough. ;)

-Can you give a bit more details about your project ?
    -How many layers do you have ?
    -You use a lot of effects ?

Having a blur effects over a layer can result is bad performances while painting at the same time for example.
  • BPanting
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK here are my specs

Windows 7
    Intel i7 @3.07 Ghz
    16 gigs or RAM
    512 gig SSD Drive
    Nvidia Gforce GTX 470 (latest drivers)

I have like 4 material groups with maybe 4-6 layers in each one, no effects

The mesh was about 5k tris

I was painting in my maps at 2k, but after turning them down to 1k everything worked fine. Would getting a newer video card help with something like that?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yeah, a GTX 470 can be a bit slow. We recommend GTX 600/700 GPU with at least 2GB of VRam to be comfortable. :)
    Substance Painter rely almost only on your GPU.

Also be sure to launch Substance Painter first before any other program to be sure to get the maximum amount of VRam possible. Some other software like the Unreal Engine 4 can eat all your VRam if you launch them in first.
  • Pennywise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    Good to know, thanks