Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Tips

sajin0084
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
sajin0084 polycounter lvl 2
Hi all,

Would love some feedback on my portfolio pieces. My portfolio is very much a WIP, but am trying to cater it towards a fantasy RPG style. Would like to know what type of works to create to add to it.

Thanks!

http://sajin0084.wix.com/benpipers

Replies

• theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    Hey!

I'd shy away from tailoring your portfolio to a specific art style. You want employers to see that you can execute a variety of styles well. That said maybe you should work on some assets that show other genres.

As far as your portfolio is concerned I'd encourage you to spend more time pushing the textures further. Right now they seem unfinished because they're too clean and they could use more fine detail information. Once you've got a handle on that then look into lighting techniques that you could use to showcase your stuff. The fireplace images are too dark and they don't seem to have clear light sources. Hope that help you.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    What really bothers me on the website is the naming of the images.
    like house_4.png seems like it was just thrown together as fast as possible, makes it feel really lifeless, even though I like your models.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, agree with Shyralon. Change the names, makes it look very lazy at first glance, in which most employers do.
  • sajin0084
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sajin0084 polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks, good advice. Didn't even think (or realise) about the picture names. And I'll be sure to check my textures and lighting and improve those!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I would say that you need more finished stuff. You only have two scenes and the rest of your images are just props from those scenes. If you want to aim for an environment artist, do more environments. You mention that you want to do a "fantasy RPG style" of portfolio, that is great, do a fantasy village, a dragon cave or whatever whimsical you can come up with. But do something with more realistic textures and something that is more finished.

Also remove your 2d art piece, it is not relevant if you want to become a 3d artist. But keep fighting and I hope this helped. just ask if something is not feeling clear regarding anything I wrote.

Have a great one and good luck.