Home Technical Talk

Polypaint Workflow

Farina
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Farina polycounter lvl 4
Hello guys!

Is there a rule in zbrush, with the polypaint?

I mean for example this:

1. Sculpt with dynamesh
2. Polypaint on dynamesh

I mean, that this is not a good option, because the polygons have not a good topology.

I prefer this one.

1. Sculpt with Dynamesh
2. Zremesh
3. Subdividing
4. Polypaint.

Is that right? At the moment i have a character sculptet only with dynamesh to 11 Million Polygons. Now im thinking about it, to polypaint it. It will be a still image.

But there a several problems, with painting on dynamesh, like "Not clean topology", so when i try to paint some areas on the lips, when it comes to detailing with the polypaint, zbrush didnt paint on some really small ares, so i cant paint on them. Is that the result, of NOT good topolgy?

Greetings

Farina

Replies

• Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Both of the workflows you explained are valid.

Polypaint is vertexcolor so all you need is an even topology and enough vertices. Both dynamesh and Zremesh create an even topology.

So I don't really see what your problem is. Could you share screens of these areas you can't polypaint?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    I can never achieve the level of detail I want on characters or environments in zbrush, not because of zbrush faults, I just don't go more than 7mil polys. But then again, to get to such a small level of detail wouldn't be worth it when converting to game. So I'll focus on what reads from about a foot away (especially for fps or on closeups).

Because I could always have a tiling detail map be applied to the different parts (like skin).

An alternative solution is unwrapping the parts that require that level of detail (like the face) and refine them in photoshop. I like to do this method after I've painted in the major forms and any specific plane changes (cheek bones, labial lines around nostril, brow, etc.)

Lastly, if this stays in zbrush, use HD sculpting. :D:D