Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Lee1 animations

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
Hello I'm studying animation with Ianimate, I'm nearing the end of workshop 0 and have learned a ton. I'll use this thread to document my progress through the years.

I've been studying animation for about 5 months now but only 2 months with ianimate.

Here's 2 of my assignments after critique :-

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zaY8p8k2T8[/ame] (Ufo scene)

I'm not happy with the hair on Tots but I'll figure it out eventually.
37wZkdd.gif

This is a walk cycle I attempted for fun, there's a lot wrong with it and if someone has the time to give me a few critiques on the most obvious things wrong with it, I'd appreciate it

shFXLhG.gif

On preview my gifs have insanely low fps...not sure if that will be a problem after submitting.

Replies

• Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    A)the hair and head are snapping to the 1st keyframe positions when the animation is finished. (it should be flow back smoothly)
    B) you may want to delay the secondary motion (the hair a bit) It feels too close to the jump animation
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    @yourname942 Oh I should have mentioned for the assignment we weren't told/required to loop it, which is why it has that harsh snap, I'll open up the file when I have time and play around with the hair timing, thanks.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah the hair on the spring fellow looks as if it's being pushed up by some sort of force (rising wind?), unless this is what you want?
    You need to treat the jump action as the driver for the hair, it needs to lag behind the action, this is what secondary animation is all about. Little details that are trying to catch up with the primary animation, hence to show us 'what just happened'.
    Remember!
    - Tell us whats going to happen
    - Tell us what is happening
    - Tell us what has just happened

The fellow soldier has a little snapping at the end of the loop, just make sure the loop is clean on the ends (make sure that the curves interpolate smoothly from end to start).
    You need better arcs on the arms. Looks like you're using IKs rather then FKs. I suggest using FKs if you can, but that can be a personal preference, FKs give me easier arcs. And my last piece of feedback would be to delay the hip movement, the hips drive the feet but ever so slightly.

Good luck