Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: IN PROGRESS: DDO creates 2x materials

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
Created a base by loading an OBJ, matID map, normal map and AO and linked some materials. Result:
6fa5hh.png
(The color coded materials are the ones specified by me in the MatID map)

A former colleague suggested it might be due to the file format and extra channels (alpha), saying I should go with PNGs instead. And so I did, but I DDO still creates 2x more materials than specified in the MatID map.

Why does this happen, how do I avoid it, and is it safe to just delete these extra materials?
I understand that materials can be stacked for added complexity, but I find this a little misleading. For example, I click my painted metal group, enter it, change the color to yellow and nothing happens (because DDO has created another painted metal material group on top of it).

EDIT: I started out from scratch instead of going with the automatic stuff, but there are still a few things I find unintuitive or misleading - sub-materials not inheriting the mask from their parent material during preview for example. Maybe Im using the wrong lingo here so here´s the workflow:
shift+c click in 3do on a color (say ray in the MatID map) > Synthetic rubber > Enter group > Click the dynamask. Now DDO applies the rubber stress stuff to the entire mesh before opening up the dynamask editor. I can see this in 3DO. I select some other weathering effect and hit done. Now it is applied, but is masked out by the parent material. The first time I did this I thought I had broken something.

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Hi!

The double materials sounds very strange! Would you mind posting your color ID so I can have a look?

About the sub materials not inheriting the mask from their parent material, this is by design and the way the layer stacking works, If you still want to see the parent mask you can add that color in the "COLOR ID" in the Dynamask editor.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is that this occurs when there is shading variations in the matID map. So if you have pure red, green and blue, and add some 253 0 0 pixels here and there, dDo will consider it to be a separate material (but will fail to map it into the model)

This is entirely my fault ofc, but it would be nice if you guys could add say a dialog window with a warning when the user loads a MatID map with gradients or deviant pixels

Completely off-topic:
    Is Dennis Porter an official employee at Quixel?
  • Eric Ramberg
    You are absolutely right, there has been some issues regarding the Color-ID system and I think it needs more clarification! Hopefully we can add this in the next version of The Suite!

I don´t know Who Dennis is, and as far as I know he is not, but I´m not in contact with the high boss on a daily basis so who knows :D
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great!

Ah I see. I thought that Dennis had made the dDo material manager for you, or something like that - but I guess he has no official ties to you.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Oh OK! :) No official ties as far as I know but very much appreciated!