Home Quixel Megascans

Will Quixel suite become totally independent?

Hey everyone

Right now QS works as a plugin with Photoshop, just wondering if this would ever be different, would Quixel eventually drop PS completely behind and become its own standalone program?

I think if this actually happened this suite would become so much more powerful and we would be able to use brushes to paint rust/dust/dirt etc directly and not just be limited to masking effects.

Not to mention the start up costs for indie too :)

Just an idea I had the other day, what are other peoples thoughts on this?

Replies

• Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    As far as I know, quixel relies entirely on photoshop, therefore I doubt what you're asking for is possible. I agree that currently, it is sometimes a hassle because of the instability. But once the quixel suite will be perfectly stable, it won't be a problem anymore. I don't care that it's being used as photoshop plugin, since I do a lot of my texturing in photoshop regardless.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the developper already mentionned that we'd be able to paint mask directly unto our mesh in the next update (which will be awesome). If we are able to paint those mask using any photoshop brushes, even better!

So yeah, I feel that we should trust the Quixel team. The quixel suite it still quite new, and I'm sure the upcoming updates will bring things that we didn't even know we wanted. ;)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!

Right now there are no plans on making the suite a standalone program. BUT, with that being said,
    what Stumpinater is requesting regarding painting in all the masking effects, that is something coming in the future. The very powerful Dynamask editor will be even more powerful once the 3d painting is implemented. You will be able to use a variety of custom brushes, (and I think your own as well, not 100% sure) to paint your masks. I saw a demo of this a few days ago, an 8k texture being painted in real-time in 3d i 3do, and it was FAST, so I can tell you that I´m as excited for this update as you guys are! (Or should be!) :)
  • NickBack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickBack polycounter lvl 8
    Being tied to photoshop is Quixel Suite's strength and problem at the same time.

Problem because it appears to be slower than it should and buggy, strength because you also have the power of photoshop while you are working.

If they work on the bugs and slowness it will be only a strength. I am hopeful.
  • stumpinater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am totally excited about the upcoming updates, hopefully it wont be too much longer now. :)

my biggest gripe right now is the Multisculpt stopping me from producing height maps. its basically stopped me working on an environment... hopefully a fix is in the works

Anyway, I think the real time 3D painting tool will make QS a whole different ball game. it's something I am itching to get my hands on. I cant wait to try it out for environment textures!

I dont really think It will matter too much weather QS becomes stand alone or not, if it did it will benefit Indies with start up costs, but on the other hand, Quixel keep producing such powerful updates with such an affordable price, it wont matter if its used with PS or not.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    no, its written javascript using photoshop commands
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nickback - You are very correct, In the future we hope to be only on the positive side!

Stumponater - I also think it will change quite a lot once the 3D painting comes in, from what I have seen it works extremely well!