Home General Discussion

Rendering normalmap in zbrush?

Hi,

I am trying to create a some simple flat modular pieces but I cannot seem to find out how to render these. What I am currently want to make is a brick wall, it is flat but not a simple rectangle. I unpacked the UV's of this low poly model. I followed a tutorial and somehow I am missing something.

It goes wrong the moment I add extra "tools" to the canvas. I have several bricks and want to rotate, flip and scale them onto the flat model. I do have my final low poly on a sepperate layer but once I add a new tool to the canvas I lose the ability to render it, even when those tools are on a different layer and i switch back to the low poly layer.

I simply want to draw tools onto my 2D unpacked shape, then render a normal map out of it.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Not sure what you are trying to do exactly but in zbrush when you render out maps its of one subtool. Try to combine all visible and then append the merged version into your scene and render that. I personally could never get zbrush to render out normal maps properly and use xnormal for that.

Hope this helps.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    I am also not sure. My only guess you are trying to use 2,5D mode and its layers . It's pretty convenient for doing "flat" environment textures but has its limitations.
    Remember you are just using pixels with depth info. You can't do BPR render there. nano/ micro meshes and hairs .
    To get normal map out of it you should just paint only M (normalRGBmatrial) over each layer . Don't forget to set ambient light to zero and use "best" render mode for correct normal maps