Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Seams on textures

So basically I have been working hard on my first workshot item for weeks now and I think I have it almost finished I go to test it and this happens!
ohnoes_zps14525015.png
As you can see the area around where teh textures meet have becoem light magnets! This problem reall ends up taking away from how good the coat I made actually looks, and It's really bumming me out haveing this sort of problem so close to the end of my project!

Also if it would help anyone give me an answer here is the texture map and UV map.
nope_zpsd9fe2399.png

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The problem probably arises when the engine switches to mips when the camera gets away from the mesh. You can do these to make sure the mips are similar enough to the original texture:

- Filling the spaces between UV islands with similar colors.

- Putting more space between the UV islands and baking with larger padding.

I hope this helps.

Also, what are you using the alpha channel for?
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
    Emar is correct, you need more padding on the texture islands
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    EmAr wrote: »
    - Putting more space between the UV islands and baking with larger padding.

Normally this would be the case, but in this case I wanna say that the UV could be optimized more, currently there is a lot of wasted space.

So before you finish your model I suggest you optimize your UV and decrease the amount of wasted space while keeping enough room for padding.

Don't forget you can stack UVs to save texture space, the sleeves for example could be stacked.
  • ryuga_knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That you All all your info has lead me to finish my model, now just to figure out how to put it into SFM and get some good photos...