Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Realm of Men> – Nedzad

Nadsahari
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Nadsahari vertex
Hey everyone,
My name is Nedzad and I will be entering the contest alone. I am really glad to be participating. This is actually my first attempt to make a game environment, so go easy on me :) (I am usually doing archviz stuff, so this is quite out of my comfort zone, but hopefully I will have time to adjust, and it will be a good practice)

The main idea behind the „realm of men“ is to have an post-apocalyptic environment of an industrial building, an oil refinery, that resembles a shrine, with big colonnade of industrial pipes... The ground is overgrown, and there are oil leaks all over it. It will be a mixture of dirt, mud and oil leaks.
The throne itself is a pile of animal bones that has been turned into a pyramid like sculpture, on top of which sits a man's skeleton wearing a kings cape.
I have attached few reference images that I found, as well a couple of thumbnails that will turn into concept art hopefully:)
I really hope to hear your thoughts get your feedback
Cheers

01_reference.jpg?dl=0

Replies

• Nadsahari
  • Nadsahari
  • Nadsahari
  • Nadsahari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nadsahari vertex
    Here's the first update. I did a block mesh render with a zdepth pass and a quick sketch on top.
    This will serve me as a good placeholder for the asset creation process.
    For this stage I found really important to set up the overall mood, which is high contrast with the throne being hit directly by the setting sun.
    I am also thinking about modularity and reusing as much assets as possible without it being noticeable.
    Next steps will be breaking everything down and importing it into unreal.

Cheers
    04_concept_sketch.jpg
  • Nadsahari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nadsahari vertex
    Finally, had a little break from work to resume the challenge :)

Right here is a blockout in unreal. I have modeled and textured the large pipes, and the small ones behind the throne. I used substance painter for this and will post some closeups later.
    The other assets are just a block mesh with basic material from unreal applied.
    For the floor I used the terrain mode but will switch it with a model because it will give me greater control.. I think :)
    I will put a breakdown of the work so far in next posts on how I created some of the assets and some thought process.

05_unreal.jpg
  • Nadsahari
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not a big fan of realistic environment but your composition is very cool, the AO render is amazing and those pipe material works very well. Well done, I can't wait to see the final shot :)
  • Nadsahari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nadsahari vertex
    Thanks a lot Geno, glad you liked it:) There's a lot of work to be done here, just hope to finish it in time. I think for final images I will use a wide lens, as it looks a bit smaller than I would like.
  • Nadsahari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nadsahari vertex
    Here's a little breakdown, of the work so far.
    breakdown_02.jpgbreakdown_03.jpgBreakdown_01.jpg
  • Nadsahari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nadsahari vertex
    Well, since the very core feature of my throne are bones..big piles of animal bones... I thought I'd make some.. right on schedule :)

For the first test (which I will keep in the end) I used really cool script, debris maker, to generate few shrapnel and twigs. I ran a simulation which gave me a basic shape for my low poly. To bake out the maps I used xnormal, and was surprised how accurate the bakes were. I also baked a position map in SP which gave me that ground oil dirt in the bottom. All the bakes are in 2048 resolution but in the end I will use 1024 maps for these piles, as I want to keep the same texel density 512/100cm2 throughout the level (the piles are 200cm). Good thing about SP is that I can easily change the resolution if I change my mind about the texel density.
    breakdown_04.jpgbreakdown_05.jpgbreakdown_06.jpgbreakdown_07.jpg
  • Nadsahari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nadsahari vertex
    Here are some bones that will be scattered in the same manner. I also made a sculpt of a skull.. hopefully I'll have time to do a few more, and scatter them as well...

breakdown_08.jpg
    breakdown_10.jpgbreakdown_09.jpg