Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Testing a Snow Macro in World Machine

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
QuantumTheory polycounter lvl 6
B96QYSNCYAAkOWl.jpg:large

Rendered straight from WM. Testing a new snow node. The snow node that's included with world machine is a bit slow and I can't grab the deposition of the snow to use as a mask for coloring or whatever.

Basically I take the flow heightfield from an erosion node, expand it, blur it, crank up the contrast, and then a slope selector mask is subtracted from it. Then I use that result as a blend mask between the eroded terrain and a gently blurred version of it. The blurred version is slightly higher then the unblurred. Simple snow. I still need to optimize this one further as I'd like to get rid of the expander. It's pretty cool just hitting the randomize function and seeing it lay naturally.

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    The scale feels off to me. Either those are really tiny mountains or it's like sixty feet of snow.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
    This is pretty awesome, I do see what Meloncov is saying, but the mountains look awesome. I think I'm gonna have to try this for my own environment :)
  • Thaiauxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
    That is pretty fantastic. I've had trouble getting a clean mask after a blur node is applied in the past to achieve a similar effect. Where in the macro do you think you could extract the masks for the snow layer? There may be a good one hidden before the blur inside that erosion macro, if you open it up. Apply feather to the edges in photoshop afterwords maybe.

It could be a good way to generate "Canopy" for a lush jungle using a method like this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130038 - but clean masks would be needed to hack & slash between mudbox, 3dsmax, and photoshop.

I'd be interested in seeing your results! :D