Home Technical Talk

Perspective Camera's "Fly To" Command Not Moving As Expected

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone. I'm having some trouble isolating a problem with the fly to command. You know when you hit F and the camera gradually glides to the selected object? My camera view snaps to some random point on the grid before instantaneously teleporting itself to the object that I want to rotate around. Although I do get my camera to center in on an object, I would much rather prefer the camera to gradually glide to the object rather than thrashing itself around the scene.

Theory: I THINK the problem occurred because I set Y to be "up" instead of Z. I changed it back to see if the problem would go away, but no luck. The only reason i think that this had something to do with changing the up direction is because everything was working just fine until i started playing with that.

What I have Attempted So Far
  • This problem only happens in my file (MyScene.mb) and the issue does not occur in any other file. Just this one.
  • Restarted Maya and reopened MyScene.mb
  • Deleted history
  • optimized scene
  • Reset perspective and orthographic cameras to "Default Veiw"
  • This problem only happens with the perspective camera. I tried to make a new perspective camera. Pressing F does absolutely nothing when viewing the scene with a newly created perspective camera
  • I wanted to press F on an object with an orthographic camera. When I pressed F in any of the orthographic views, the fly to command did not respond at all.
  • Temporarily deleted everything in the outliner and created a random cube to see if the problem still occurred. it did.
  • Pressing 4 or 7 on the keyboard to get a wireframe view in any of the cameras does not work. I'm not sure if this is related or not but I thought it was worth mentioning. It's almost like I'm stuck in shading mode as well.

Conclusion: The problem still occurred after deleting all my outline objects so I know it has nothing to do with some crap data in one of my objects. Now I can conclude that this isn't just a problem with objects or the perspective camera exclusively, but some scene element that is shared among all of the cameras. I know it's not a universal Maya setting since it works in any other scene. Whatever this problem may be, it's something exclusive to this scene that all the cameras depend on. it has nothing to do with objects, and Maya is willing to save whatever is causing it since closing and reopening doesn't fix it.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. The more info the better.

Replies

• daniellooartist
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 12
    I just found out the frame command will work in the orthographic views if I do not have a split view. If I don't have a split view then frame object will not work on any of the cameras. I thought that maybe the perspective camera was influencing the others somehow in a split view so I used the second perspective camera in addition to top, side, and front views in a 4 way split view. Even though the perspective camera was not one of these views, the problem still persisted even though each of those cameras frame object command works perfectly fine on their own (except for the default perspective camera). What on earth is going on!?