Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Hat over 1000 tris?

Kanyl
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Kanyl polycounter lvl 4
Hello! :)

I am currently working on this tophat, as you can see in the picture. I am using the same arrow that you can find in the game with the Sniper class, but it is too detailed for the current cap of 1000 tris for hats. The problem is, that I need to have this arrow and I am currently at 1450 tris. There is no way that I can make it any less!

So, is it OK with a hat of 1450 tris, or will it get rejected for publishing due to the amount?

Thanks in advance!

14vsmko.jpg

Replies

• brianchenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
    that arrow is poorly optimized, go through it and start merging vertices. If its not sitting on a UV seam or necessary to the silhouette, you can get rid of it.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't the tri limit 1400 for items? Anyway, since the in-game importer won't compile the model, you'll have to compile it manually. That can be a disadvantage since the item won't automatically have a gold star. There's no written rule AFAIK though.

I know you wanted to use the original arrow but brianchenito is right. Weapon models need to be more detailed for the 1st person view, that may be why it's so dense. Also, in the rim part, I'd get rid of some of those circular loops and add more slices to improve the silhouette.