Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Monkey Temple

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
paradoxical-pixel polycounter lvl 10
@Callister and myself are teaming-up for The Throneroom contest. We wanted to do something a little different, thematically speaking, and chose to make a monkey temple.

Our inspiration draws from many of the temples of India, including those dedicated to the Hindu God, Hanuman, and the kitchen rooms of the Sikh Golden Temple.

@Callister is working primarily on the monkeys, and I am focusing on the architecture and furniture. So far we are at blockout stage.

Moodboard

LXDxhX3.jpg?1

Initial Concept Sketch

RBYv5uZ.jpg?1

Revised Concept Sketch

nCIJLal.jpg?1

Initial Blockout (Spatial Test)

AfYFtIP.jpg?1

Ground Texture Test

Phr5yva.jpg?1

Replies

• Callister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

So as paradoxical-pixel mentioned my main responsibility on this project will be to make the Rhesus macaque's that will be in the room, as well as making some of the basic concept art and some minor modeling for the environment. The setting will be in modern Asia, and the throne will be something makeshift, the main Macaque is more of an alpha-male than a Monarch.

So I began of with a skeleton to help me out, Macaque's are primates like our selves, and their anatomy isn't massively different from our own in respect to the placement of their muscles, I've studied anatomy quite a bit and figured if I had the skeleton down I could simply use the origins and insertions of the muscles as a good reference. This wasn't built from scratch, instead I spent maybe an hour or so changing a human skeleton that I've already built.

e6zHq6k.jpg?1

this worked alright and gave me a good starting point, but I later scraped it as a reference and instead stuck to a piece I made in Photoshop, trying to be as accurate as possible in regards to their proportions.

tvunSMr.jpg

And from their I'm currently on this stage

ThOgKsy.jpg

Still early stages yet, and quite a lot of work to do, but I'm really excited to try out Substance painter for the first time, man I definitley will not be missing the older methods of texturing :D
  • elindell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, that's a fantastic skeleton.
    saying that you may want to check the rules, no living characters are allowed, I don't know if your macaque counts but you probably should figure that out before spending too much time on something that may disqualify you.
    at worst you could turn into a statue
    good luck!
  • Callister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @elendell,

Thanks very much - you know what that's a great point, I might finish it anyway, but we'll definitely have to look into that.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    You should be able to repurpose the monkeys for statues etc maybe?