Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Egde Padding Setting

Hello.

So I just finished texturing one of my statue props and when I exported my map from substance it gave me an large amount of edge padding that makes my maps look weird. It still looks correct in my viewport render, But if I wanted to showcase my 2D texture on my website it couldn't because it looks to offputting.

F3UVTfW.png

I was wondering is this just how substance exports it maps or is there a setting I can change to reduce the amount of edge padding it exports it with?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is no setting yet unfortunately, you may have to render a mask of your uv and mask out the padding in PS for presentation purpose :/ Wwe plan to add one in a future update though.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    This MUST be FIXED ASAP!!!!! The padding in normal map is intersecting with the uvs and I cant remove it in photoshop. I cant use this software in professional pipeline with this bug !
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I would also simply render a UV Mask and copy it over it, to make it look more clean
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr wrote: »
    This MUST be FIXED ASAP!!!!! The padding in normal map is intersecting with the uvs and I cant remove it in photoshop. I cant use this software in professional pipeline with this bug !

It doesn't do that. That would be a mission critical bug. Are you sure it's not something specific with your mesh?
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it cant intersect but the thing is that I am using several materials for same uv space . This is done so that I could hide some parts of the model for better texturing experience. For instance I hide sword scabbard so I can see the sword while texturing. When I export sword scabbard, the padding goes to the place where sword uvs are because there are no sword uvs in the sword scabbard material. In the end I have to render mask for each material and combine everything in ps. This is not hard but time consuming especially when I have a lot of materials. The best thing would be to implement hide polygon/object feature like ion 3d coat. This would eliminate the need of breaking the mesh into several materials.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh OK, yeah, that would be a cool feature...
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah if texture sets could optionally share UV space (not separate your project into different materials which really just means you have two projects visible at once some of the time, so it essentially functions as a polygon hide function) that'd be much more useful. For now I just send an exploded version of my mesh to painter to avoid having to combine exported maps in photoshop.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the explode is probably better as you dont have to spend unnecessary time combining all your exported textures. However, I duplicate my whole model(character) and explode the duplicate and use both in painter. This way its easier for me to see the final result.