Home General Discussion

Anyone know about port settings?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
I need to be able to connect to the server at work, but for some reason it's not working. If I can't make it work, I'll have to literally live at work for the next 2 weeks.

I've tried everything. I'm pretty good with computers but I've hit the limit of my skills on this one. I've enabled remote desktop in the settings. I've completely shut down Windows Firewall to no effect. I ping the server and get replies, but I can't connect with Remote Desktop.

Help pages said about checking port 3389. I tried sites that do that but one couldn't see it and the other said it was closed. I followed a tut to create a special rule for making 3389 open, but nothing.

Nearly everything I find for this problem, seems to assume that I have a degree in computer engineering. There's zero help that isn't a sea of code and lingo.

Please, does anyone have any ideas? I was able to connect during the summer but now it won't work.

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Port settings are all on your router. You need to log into your router and open the port.

Otherwise you can try hamachi,
    https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

I used to use is to have lan matches in old games over the internet.
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Doesn't your work have an IT department? They're usually responsible for server security, as well as setting up VPNs for staff to access the work server from off site.

It's more than just ports I imagine, it's often authentication, you may have the correct ports, but you don't have the correct credentials, or IP string to access the server - the server will refuse the connection if it's not within a set range often (depending on how IT has set it up).

If IT sets up a VPN - then you'll be able to access the server with a username and password from whereever you are.
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm at work now, (carried in my desktop and everything), but I will attack my router later. Thanks.

I do have a VPN set up. It connects and I can ping the server properly. Unfortunately nothing else works. Remote desktop doesn't work and my system can't retrieve the software license I need access to.

And no, we're too small to have an actual IT guy. It's a tiny office and IT stuff is just handled by one of the owners.

Would it be bothered by me using someone else's login? They didn't make me my own; I just got given someone else's.
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    I still can't connect fully to the system. I don't know why.

I'm logged into the VPN properly.

I can ping it just fine. No packets lost, 18ms average.

I've opened the port I need (3389) at my Belkin. I can use a port check site to verfiy that it's open.

I have no clue. None. Due to storm, heading into work isn't even possible.
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the problem fixed. My local IP was the issue.

It was set to 192.168.2.xxx, which was the same as the network at work. So when I was trying to connect to it, my system was trying to find the server on my home network. I changed my local IP to 192.168.1.xxx and it works like a charm.