Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starr M-1863 game asset (PBR)

Hey guys, here's my Starr M-1863. C&C very welcome!
Textures are PBR ready, intended for UE4.

Regards, Bram

ajrDiyz.jpg

LUjuXuL.jpg

UGOOhLW.jpg

60Gyn3l.jpg

l8IZ4ae.jpg

Replies

• Nintendo46
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now thats some rusty revolver lol.

Looks great, the texture gives the feeling that this thing laid somewhere for a very long time.

not so shure about the lowpoly. Although the polycount is quite low, i think you could still

adjust some areas. i cant tell where, i dont know the words in english for the parts :D sorry

but keep up the good work
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very good, only thing bugging me is the metal is pretty shiny considering how grungy / grimy the metal is
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    word @ skyline 5 gtr
  • bramnicaise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys! There indeed are some places that need fewer poly's, especially the bullet chambers I think.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    How did you get those nice details on the wooden handle, the little dents?

I really like this look. Good inspiration for when I get around to texturing my models :D
  • bramnicaise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle, I extracted the information from a rough wood texture. I edited levels, applied a median filter (not sure if that's the right name) to get rid of most noise, masked some bits away and then converted to a normal map with xnormal.

After that, I used the map to add roughness on those spots.

I thought this was the best approach to mimic dents and crevices and what not. It's not perfect but I think it did the job.

Bram

MPRZXoY.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Doxturtle, I extracted the information from a rough wood texture. I edited levels, applied a median filter (not sure if that's the right name) to get rid of most noise, masked some bits away and then converted to a normal map with xnormal.

After that, I used the map to add roughness on those spots.

I thought this was the best approach to mimic dents and crevices and what not. It's not perfect but I think it did the job.

Bram

MPRZXoY.jpg

Let me see if i get this right.
    You took the wood texture,
    adjusted the levesl to where its what we see here.
    took away most of the noise.
    then converted it to a normal map?
  • bramnicaise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have the exact process, but yes, that's about how I got to that grayscale texture. There probably were some more minor steps which I don't remember.

I didn't need the color information anymore because I blended multiple wood textures for the diffuse.