Home Dota 2

Workshop bugs and problems

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Reza polycounter lvl 3
hey

I thought it would be good to have a thread in which we can mention any problems that we face while making an item. Feel free to mention any difficulties you face while skinning, importing, checking in game and etc.
One thing; if you bring up a problem and later on you could fix it, add a "fixed" afterwards and refer to the solution :)

cheers

Replies

• Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    There is an odd behavior with workshop importer while importing the brood mother's back piece.
    when u save your files and load again, the item slots changes from back to legs but it will still replace them model on back slot.

8Z0M3uG.png
    M6qDNDf.png
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Axe has this weird deformation at his back:

vXh2Vfk.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Valve is pretty 'loose' when it comes to rigging.

I know the goblin on Alchemist has a vert in his shoulder that bugs out weird. I've seen it on others too.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Valve is pretty 'loose' when it comes to rigging.

I know the goblin on Alchemist has a vert in his shoulder that bugs out weird. I've seen it on others too.

yep, I've seen too. That's why I thought of gathering them all here. Who knows maybe they will come to use :)
  • Quadscount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In fact, I don't know if it's intentional, nearly all of the hero models have odd deformations.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In most cases I've found it's because the models have been skinned with more then 3 bone weights and the game importer tries interpolate and reduce the bone weights, often doing a poor job. This results in odd verts moving in unexpected ways. Perhaps at one stage during production the riggers were expecting 4 bone weighting, and this was reduced for optimizing reasons.
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quadscount wrote: »
    In fact, I don't know if it's intentional, nearly all of the hero models have odd deformations.

Enchantress takes the cake with her left arm tho. :V
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enchantress takes the cake with her left arm tho. :V

I don't know what you're talking about. This looks completely normal and not painful at all.

B7QVwGjIIAIOtyv.png
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ReMixx wrote: »
    I don't know what you're talking about. This looks completely normal and not painful at all.

B7QVwGjIIAIOtyv.png

Nope, nothing wrong there sir! :poly142::poly142:
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    select ember spirit, select animation attack 01 and see the single frames. at a point in the mid of the animation the whole arm breaks and twists like a tornado
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    Witch doctor`s death ward dance makes any shoulder item sink deeply into his torso. also the skin deformes strangely too
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    In case someone at Valve reads this, here is something I just noticed about the store page. When listing standalone sets, filtering for "show all" (as opposed to showing 20 or 60 items per page) seems to give only partial results.

More precisely, filtering for "release : newest first" and "items per page : all" only brings up sets created between November 2013 and March 2015 :
    http://www.dota2.com/store/#cat=3634838168&n=2751

Likewise filtering for "release : oldest first" only brings up sets created between January 2012 and April 2013 :
    http://www.dota2.com/store/#cat=3634838168&n=2751&s=1935804930

Therefore and if I am not mistaken, about 7 months worth of standalone sets seems to be clipped out from the search results. For instance, someone setting store filters like the above links would never find the PA "Nimble Edge" set released on May 2013. Anyone else notices this ?
    (On a side note : maybe this thread could be mirrored in Reddit for visibility ?)
  • BlueFlytrap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueFlytrap polycounter lvl 9
    Terrorblade's demonform has a unique problem involving the workshop and his arcana.

With just a regular loadout all cosmetics will work fine.

When the arcana is present the way dota 2 applies the various visual effects of the arcana is by applying the parameters from the arcana's basemodel to any cosmetic applied. The model combiner then binds it to a single model and you have multicoloured terrorblade. That's all fine and dandy.

The problem arises when the demonform is used. Since the workshop importer will use the same material settings for all items on a given hero regardless of what slot it is the demonform uses the same parameters as all his other item slots (minus the default demonform itself)

Not only will it appear different than the default because of this, it will also not work with the arcana. Since the model is separate the modelcombiner doesn't merge it with the base and it gains none of the arcana's properties like his other items would. It also lacks the material proxies to apply the effects on it's own that the default has since it's using the generic importer vmt.

Basically no matter what you do the demonform will be blue.
  • AbyssWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TA's model has so much wrong with it, I don't even know where to start..
    Her model is skinned and triangulated quite badly.She was never triangulated properly so any new instance of her model has different triangles, that means her model from the website, the LOD1 and the LOD0 all have different triangles.. oh and LOD1 and LOD0 are skinned differently. The skinning itself is all over the place with parts of her upper arms skinned to her clavicle bones, the front of her upper leg is skinned to her left thumb, random verts of her jaw aren't skinned to her head bone and not to mention most of her skinning is so uneven which leads to parts of her skirt to move like 2 pieces of cardboard that are held together with a lot of bubble gum.. Oh yeah and her base model clips trough itself on many places, like the top of her left leg or her lower back.
    Overall the errors present in her skinning look like something you get when you use a big soft brush to paint weights in maya without selecting exactly which verts to affect.
    There is also the issue with her cloth bones on her right sleeve.They are set up with the wrong rotation, so when her default cloth file kicks in, it twists the bones counter clockwise by about 75 degrees. That causes anything that is skinned to them to bend and distort.a5d95ea5cb.jpg4b2403c9ca.jpg A simple fix would be to rotate the top bone in that chain 75 degrees counter clockwise and to recompile her model, it should also be a fix for all other cosmetics using those bones.
    TA also has a useless bone that is a leftover from the animation rig on her right ankle and she has 5 extra bones on her head for the hair that aren't used at all..

Skywrath Mage's left hand has bones for all the fingers and joint on it, but it's only skinned to the wrist bone!

Juggernaut's workshop requirements page model is actually smaller that the model in game.

LD's bear has its metalness set waaay low by default, you pretty much have to go to extreme hights on the vmt to even get the slightest bit of metalness on it.

Omniknight has a cubemap that forces itself onto every item he has even if you turn it off for the item in the vmt file.

It would also be nice if we could see an upgrade to the requirements on some heroes like Magnus where for example his default head slot is 1k poly and the workshop item is only 250 .
    Faceless Void - would be awesome if we too could use 256x256 textures and higher polycounts for all his items from now on since that's pretty much what Valve did with his remodel.
  • BlueFlytrap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueFlytrap polycounter lvl 9
    Omniknight has a cubemap that forces itself onto every item he has even if you turn it off for the item in the vmt file.

That's the model combiner. It applies parameters from the basemodel to any cosmetics regardless of what the cosmetic's vmt have set.
    It started doing this once the terrorblade arcana was released so it would work correctly.

This doesn't apply to models like summons as they aren't bound to the basemodel.
  • AbyssWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the model combiner. It applies parameters from the basemodel to any cosmetics regardless of what the cosmetic's vmt have set.
    It started doing this once the terrorblade arcana was released so it would work correctly.

This doesn't apply to models like summons as they aren't bound to the basemodel.

Well guess an easy fix to that would be to just use skip_model_combine on his items..
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thank you for all the detailed information AbyssWalker, that's all very useful stuff to know when working (or considering working) on sets.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
  • AbyssWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PS: Lina's upper legs aren't skinned at all, her lower legs are.. so on some animations where she moves her legs you can see them separate at the knee..
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    something really has to be done about enchantress!

h1iC1eR.png
    Boonta wrote: »
    great thread!

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think rigging is Valve's least favorite job.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Have u guys realized that the texture quality is really low in workshop viewer?
    the in game quality is a lot better and I have a "barely-medium" graphic card (Geforce GT 730). Aside from the quality I think the workshop-ingame-view is using an old texture for the ground too.
    nhhQJWM.png
  • Paul Tan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

im having issues with furion's beard when exporting, the bones are rotated 180, but the top part(rigged to head bone is fine).any kind souls out here help me please?

11846636_10153392609485659_8990194361522910167_n.jpg?oh=54ca1502e9f9aa6e4d2d203dd67e20a3&oe=563E98B9

11838536_10153392609410659_6068450384765672407_o.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    it all looks normals to me.

:poly121: