Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Firespin Effect - Real Time VFX

Jimster092
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Jimster092 polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, thought that I would give it a shot to post a thread regarding my current WIP for a flaming tornado spell in UE4. I'm shooting for Riot/Blizzard kind of approach, so I will be avoiding UV distortion and attempt to hand paint my textures. I'm looking to improve on my skills as I am a new FX artist myself.

I blocked out my effects so far with meshes that I plan to panner a material with. The cone in the middle is going to be the core that I plan to apply some world position offset to, while the wisps around the cone are going to be white wispy elements that I feel will contrast with the reds/oranges. I plan on decreasing the amount of meshes for the wisps. The bottom meshes are for flames that end up being sucked into the main tornado, which I will also have flame sprites to give that portion some depth. Lastly, I created a fluid container containing a vortex field to generate some vector data for some gpu sprite embers. Smoke will be something I work on near the end, but I just plan to use FumeFX for my fire and smoke flipbooks.

The greyscale texture is something I created with noise in After Effects, so it wasn't much of hand painting there but below are some references I used to draw out my effect. If anyone has tips for handpainting towards a VFX aspect, I would gladly appreciate it.

Otherwise, this is what I'm working on now. Updates will come!

Replies