Home Dota 2

Feedback for New File Formats & the Hattery

Hi guys,

It looks like the Source Engine 2/Upgrade/whatever has new file formats for everything - models, textures, particles, etc. So I'll have to make new tools to handle these new file formats and I wanted your feedback when designing them.

Ideally, I'd like to use the new compiled file formats without any kind of conversion to other formats unlike how I'm doing it now (.mdl -> .js). But using the compiled formats means that people would essentially download them whenever they visit the Hattery. If they know how to use their browser's dev tools, they could view the page's resources and download the compiled models/textures/etc and do whatever they want with them -- load them into the game, SFM, etc.

It was a concern that I took into account with my current tools -- It'd be pretty damn hard to go from the .js back into a .mdl that could be loaded into the game. But that might be a nonissue now that -overide_vpk has been "nerfed". So the only two negatives that I can think of are people loading the files into SFM or the unavoidable pricks who try to upload your stuff to the Workshop as their own.

So I'd like to get some input from you all and hear your thoughts/concerns on this topic.

Thanks!

Replies

• Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've just about covered the issues with different file formats. I imagine most artists would hope their data is protected as well as can be. A%#hats uploading someone else's is one issue, however we also need to factor for situations that we can't currently foresee.

It's a tricky issue. People are currently sending you complied files, knowing we can trust you personally. However can/should we trust everyone that visits the site?

Sorry I haven't really answered any questions here. I guess I can only say, if possible err on the side of protecting the complied files.
  • Quadscount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    What's this new update thing about? I haven't heard of it and I can't find anything when I look it up.
    Sorry for my ignorance, just curious.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Quadscount wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    What's this new update thing about? I haven't heard of it and I can't find anything when I look it up.
    Sorry for my ignorance, just curious.

Dota 2 has basically been confirmed as moving to Source 2 when the workshop alpha tools went live, then they had a blog post detailing their intentions going forward.

http://blog.dota2.com/2014/12/future-changes-frostivus/
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toasty wrote: »
    I guess I can only say, if possible err on the side of protecting the complied files.

That's what I was anticipating and I agree that it is probably the best solution to take. Thanks Toasty!