Home Technical Talk

Weight painting breaks mesh kinda (Maya)

RealityFix
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
RealityFix polycounter lvl 5
So I've been getting this funny little bug where when I'm in the middle of weight painting my mesh does this:

Kuzu5ur.png?1

No apparent reason, I haven't figured out what causes it and the only bright side is that I figured out how to fix it without throwing away all of my previous weight painting. But it's a pain in the butt.

Essentially, if I quit out of my weight painting tool and go into object mode and then back into weight painting mode it returns my lovely mesh back to normal. However, the only way I can now weight paint the model again is if I first select the vertexes I want to paint and then paint on those. The mesh holds its shape and I have no issues. This is kind of a pain though. Does anyone know how to cure this so I don't need to select my verts first? If I just try to weight paint normally without selecting verts again my mesh just breaks apart like crazy.

Replies

• fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    i think this happens when vertices arent weight to any bone at all. It just moves to the world origin because of this.
  • RealityFix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's odd that it would happen though, I just opened this on my schools computers and it seems to be working fine now. Maybe restarting may be the cure. Hopefully it doesn't happen that often (It has happened on my schools computers as well and on different meshes). I still can't figure out why it happens though, It happens on joints that were previously painted on and were working. So I don't understand why the verts would suddenly think that there are no weights. Fun times with Maya I guess...Thank you for the reply though, still useful to know what is going on.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    You could be running into an issue with the normalize weights option. Last time I painted weights I remember the "Interactive" weight painting was trying to normalize weights to joints that I didn't want any influence on. I think I changed the option to "Post" and it worked better. Also, when I begin painting I always flood all verts to my root joint first, and then start painting.
  • RealityFix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm I'll give it a shot next time I run into the problem. Although I do like having interactive on when I paint weights :/
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Leave it at "interactive". Im sure its the weights cant be applied because of too many locked weights. One can work actually very clever with weightlocking, but its also a bit shaky. Sometimes the normalisation doesnt work. I would try to unlock the weights, and the normalisation should fix the problem, as you described. Painting weights on a selection is actually very clever, i do it all the time, together with "isolate selection".
  • RealityFix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll give it a go if this issue arises again. So far it's been good with my other meshes and I haven't had a need to weight paint the face again.