Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Seat of the Pirate King - SexualHealing

Right so this is the first time I've ever done anything like this so I'm a bit daunted. Hopefully I can update and work the project often as this competition falls right in center of my 2nd semester at uni, also because I'm a student I feel like I cant really match up to some of the amazing works of art being created but I'm doing this as a learning experience primarily so any critiques or help would be appreciated greatly.

My idea is essentially a mix of pirates and Scandinavian long-houses/great halls (a bit like Whiterun or Edoras) I haven't concepted a solid plan yet and may tweak things on the fly with the block-out I'm not sure yet, however the main things I want to include design wise is:
    Lots of wood (pillars, benches, even the throne will be largely wood)
    Metal highlights to contrast (bracings and fittings for the wood for instance)
    Some stone features (mainly to contrast the wood, most likely brickwork)
    Rope and chains/anchors (large chains crossed behind the throne. although someone has already done something similar)
    Water features (maybe just long pools lining a walkway, I'm not sure yet)
    And finally warm lighting (mostly fire/torch based but maybe some god rays too)

I know its not the most exciting idea but I hope have some easter eggs thrown around here and there just for a bit of fun. As I said I'm not expecting to even come close to winning something this just for learning and push myself to improve as long as I have the time alongside my uni work.

Concepts that may help get some art direction across

They're a but varied but hopefully they help.

oI936u3.jpg