Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Cole [inFAMOUS]

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Lockewood polycounter lvl 6
Hi all

Thought I'd share something I've been working on recently! It's Cole from the inFamous series but from an older piece of concept art by Massive Black: g1cole005.jpg

High Poly is pretty much finished, though looking for any critique on how I can improve it?
TW3ttLz.jpg

Not really sure how to go about doing the hair as you'll see in the concept on the left, it's very very short but not quite shaved so don't think just a normal map will cut it. Any suggestions?

Working on the low poly mesh at the moment.
Cheers for looking!

Replies

• KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    I think the insides of his eyes should be slightly lower like the art and the blacks of the outfit should be darker and you left out the dace scruff, besides that Great job, seriously you should do more of the abandoned concept art type things! I would actually like to do an article on them some time.
  • Lockewood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lockewood polycounter lvl 6
    Cheers KingKellogg, yeah I'm not very good at copying face likeness and the fact he's heavily scowling in the concept made it harder so I kind of gave up hah. Will have a review of the head before I bake out the textures to try and get a better match! Agreed on the clothes, may just end up tweaking them in Photoshop after the bake though.
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    Can't wait to see it more! If you ever want feedback feel free to message me!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How long did the sculpt take you?
  • fisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The concept look' like a badass Elijah Wood :P

awesome sculpt!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    The face needs a lot more work to match the concept art. I think there's also some fundamental problems too like bone structure and silhouette of the face. Mouth area and cheeks strike me as unfinished.
    His arms on the concept are meatier and don't have a lot of muscle definition. The area where pect meats deltoid needs a bit more work, right now it looks like nothing in particular. Deltoids need to be reshaped a bit too, I suppose. Biceps don't look very convincing right now too.
    There's something weird going on with the hands, but I... can't put my finger on it :P

On the rest: His jacket needs to be a bit more "free"? I mean your jacket is fitting too closely to the body. And the sculpted fur lining... I don't think it has a place on this, looks out of place. I'd replace that with alpha planes. His pants should be baggier, especially on the lower half. Shape of the boots could use some additional tweaking too, they look rather flat right now. Maybe it could be a good idea to rethink the folds and wrinkles on clothes too.

For the hair: for head I'd use simple alpha planes. For the stubble a normal map would suffice, maybe.

Overall, it's a great start :) I hope you'll push it to the next level.