Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Vendan Throne - Ryan Smith

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Whelp...

Thought i'd go ahead and enter the fray. It's been too long since i've done a personal environment and this competition peaked my interests.

I checked out substance designer and decided that it's a pretty awesome tool so i figured i'd try and use it to the best of my ability in creating the textures for this scene.

I had some initial inspiration sheets compiled and laid out but i'm not going to post the because as i was modelling my block out scene it sort of organically turned into something else.

pxsgG7g.jpg

Jh8okSc.jpg

MtnvB6g.jpg

Here's some initial substance designer tests i did.

I created some substances that took normal and height information as inputs and then used that to generate finer details. You can see a stone and brass substance applied to a trim sheet i made here:

uqLjDHR.jpg

I'll start getting more granular with the assets as soon as i'm satisfied with my blockout. Cheers!

Replies

• Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing around with substance designer lately, trying to learn some decent techniques for generated worn edges and finer details.

I need to finish out my blockout asap so i can start modeling my environment =/

aKGj03r.jpg

A0WP8Nc.jpg
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    that stone texture is looking very good, just the right amount of details for great readability. Cool to see something clean for once when a lot of people tend to put way too much grunge on that kind of texture
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great to see you join Ryan. Looks good so far. I'm loving the layout. Anything planned for outside of the main area of interest?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some Substance updates.

First one is the brick with a maskable paint layer that adapts to the curvature and cavities of the underlying brick. i'll probably use that functionality in UE4 as a vertex paint mask or something.

E1FG2IV.jpg

The next three are just simple tile patterns that i can blend together with a master mask. I'll use it to get varying tile patterns and colors throughout the scene when i need to.

lqcPnlz.jpg

ZIoH0Hq.jpg

kvb9Aiv.jpg

Cheers!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright well i've spent enough time learning Substance Designer 5.0 so i figured i'd post some updates to some of the textures that i've made to get started with.

S2R1FjB.jpg

MqhbSSZ.jpg

C0iGRe0.jpg

Uv5jNUB.jpg

8js0ANr.jpg

And a preliminary shot in UE4 -- i've been experimenting with the Distance Field AO and how that looks here. Also making sure that the colors go well together and all that.

rFghqTC.jpg