Home Technical Talk

Does Maya have multi-Sub material?

Hi there guys I am doing an honours project (environment) for my college. I just had little feedback, he told me to use Multi-Sub material for texture and not to focus on unwrapping UV because it's seamless texture when it comes to environment modelling. This is where I'm a bit confused xD

I am using Maya 2015 for the past 2 years not a newbie or highly experienced, Just want to if there is multi-sub for Maya and I know 3Ds max has this function.

Replies

• rube
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    If I understand your question correctly, all you need to do is select the faces you want and then apply whatever material you want to them. Right clicking on the object in the viewport and going to either Assign New Material or Assing Existing Material is probably the easiest way. Not really sure how that will help UV mapping at all though.
  • throttlekitty
    To be clear, you still need to worry about UVs using what rube mentions. Each set of face/materials uses its own texture this way, so you get the benefit of full 0-1 UV space for each material.

Perhaps your teacher meant that for ground textures? It's common to use seamless images and a layered shader to blend between them. I think your answer depends on what kind of model(s) you're making for this project.
  • Shai88
    Hi Rube and Kitty that's how I've done what you guys were saying :) I mean the the working process

I'm using 3 shaders : one for the wall, the ceiling and assets in that room

this where the teacher telling me to use one shader by using multi-sub which I know that Maya doesn't have. I just can't seem to understand how I can apply multi-texture on a single shader.

If I'm doing UV and texture wrong please let me know... I may consider myself a newbie then :)

I'm modelling a parlour room from the Lord of the ring movie, here the snapshot:

KCyzP9N.jpg?1 In Engine

0VDHcXv.png?1 - UV map1 default (fault one)

f2aqZQs.png?1 - Parlour Assets

LyGIcJa.jpg?1 - normal texture

http://i.imgur.com/qFTIrHZ.jpg?1 - normal map
  • Nox
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Multi-Sub material is not needed in Maya, it's Max specific thing.

Just assign materials to different faces then you can view them in Node editor and connect your texture to multiple materials.

MS.1423393374.png
  • Shai88
    thankyou so much guys for the appreciation and support :)

I will look into the node editor.
  • Jhburton
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhburton polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Shai,

You really shouldn't be texturing such a large environment like this. You'll want to look at the Polycount wiki to find some information about texturing for modular environments (There's tons of information in there). You'll have to make use of tileable textures and plan things out a little better. Organising your UVs in the way you have for such large objects will give you bad, low resolution results!