Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Great Hall - topofsteel

I ran across this contest and I thought it would be fun to participate. But looking through the WIP's I think I may out of my league. My throne rooms theme is contrast. I envisioned an expansive space with columns so tall you could not see the tops of them and shafts of light creating contrast.

Software:
Autodesk Revit (whaaat...?)
3dsMax
MayaLT
Substance Designer
Substance Painter
Unity3D

I brought my original concept into both Unity4 and Unity5. I haven't been able to get satisfactory results with anything in 5 until now. So i'll probably develop both in tandem until i'm sure 5 hold together.

Revit may seem like an unlikely level editor, but it's great for quickly trying various layouts and modifying them. The further into the project I get, the more I rely on Max. Here is a 2 minute workflow clip if anyones interested.

http://www.topofsteel.com/throneroom/2015-02-07_1115.swf

Also, i'll try to keep an update webplayer of my project here. But I cannot publish to a webplayer from the Unity5, so I can't if I go that rout. And i'm getting an abysmal 45 FPS, I was over 200 in the editor, sun shafts no doubt.

http://www.topofsteel.com/throneroom/TheThroneRoom.html

Tile_01.png
Tile_02.png
Tile_03.png

First pass in Revit
3D%20View%201.png

Revit again
3D%20View%203.png

Unity4
ThroneRoom_U4.png

Unity5
ThroneRoom_U5.png

Replies

• topofsteel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've increased the scope of my throne room considerably! I am almost done blocking it out and will update the webplayer with the final geometry shortly. The screens below show the almost completed scene and my initial global illumination tests from Unity5. I am happy with them so far.

I have also come up with a little backstory / setting. The Throne Room was built on top of an existing older structure. The majority of the space is below ground with the actual throne at the highest level that lets out to the exterior. The portion of the throne room that is below ground houses support equipment for the throne. The viewer will experiencing the scene from the point of view of an individual sent there to gather information. They will enter about halfway up the space and will have the option to investigate the equipment as well.

Unity5_roof.png

Unity5-up.png

Unity5_gi_1.png

Unity5_gi_2.png

Unity5_gi_3.png

Unity5_gi_4.png