Home General Discussion

Outsourcing costs [Cars]

vvheris
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
vvheris polycounter lvl 6
Hello, we don't have much experience when it comes to this, but, how much would it cost to outsource car models [on average], if we have an contract for at least a few cars at a quality like this:
Real-Racing-3-Ferrari-LaFerrari.jpg
Thank you :)

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    how-about-1.jpg

In all seriousness its about how much your willing to pay or how much an artist is willing to do it for. You get what you pay for , simple as that there is no magical number
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Here is a GUIDELINE from the wiki

Freelancer Type US Day Rate US Hourly Overseas Day Rate Overseas Hourly
    Individual contractor $300/day * $37.50/hr * $250 - 375/day $31.25 - 47/hr
    Low-end art studio $350/day $43.75/hr $140 - 180/day $17.50 - 22.50/hr
    Average art studio $500/day $62.50/hr $200/day $25/hr
    High-end art studio $800/day ** $100/hr ** $300/day $37.50/hr

I'd say you could still find a decent artist for about 200$ a day
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Your question is too vague to get a clear answer.

Does the interior need to be built? To what level of fidelity?

Do any doors/trunks etc need to open?

Does the model need to be rigged in any way?

If you just want the exterior that is shown in your image, 3-5k is more or less in the right ballpark, as radiancefOrge mentions.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    As a car modeler myself, I would also say at least $3k
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    3k seems low, 5k seems more correct. I can't really tell from that model, it might have some corners cut, but if you really want Forza / GT HD level cars it could be 8k or more.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    How much would the cost increase if you were to: create normal map bakes for everything, have basic PBR textures, and do 4 or 5 lods?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well for this type of work you usually handle the shading with geometry not normalmaps.

that said, costs are pretty simple, even with Lods and textures, it's always the same

time * money = cost

money is very individual if you live somewhere cheap your needed money is much lower than when you work in L.A.

it's not like it will increse by 1000 dollar if you do this, because if I do this, it might be cheaper or more expensive, depending on how fast i am, my experience, my living condition and so on in comparison to you.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I'd argue that wanting normalmaps baked for cars like this will increase cost and reduce quality and performance (due to much higher texturebudget).
    Basic PBR textures, well again; this is ideally a mostly shader based or material preset system dependent on your engine, so I don't know how possible it would be for outsourcing to do unless they have full access to the editor and all.
    LODs shouldn't be that much work, anybody that can model cars to that level should have decent polyflow and workflow to not lose much time on LODs. About a day or so of extra work, at most.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    that model is from the mobile title real racing, for somthing like that it could be around the 3-5k region per asset but if youre looking for forza/next-gen quality it could run you 6-9k depending on the artist and his qualifications.
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for your answers :)

Well, i will make it more clear. We want the exteriors of the cars and wheels[windows will be black or filmed with really basic geometry inside]. Car bottom could be black. We would also bring low-quality models of the exteriors as well as concept art for the car, since we are not planning on using licensed cars at the moment. Since cars will be internally designed, there is a good chance that it will be less detailed then real cars. At our calculations, cars like this would take us around 10 work days if done internally.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    ae. wrote: »
    that model is from the mobile title real racing, for somthing like that it could be around the 3-5k region per asset but if youre looking for forza/next-gen quality it could run you 6-9k depending on the artist and his qualifications.

That's exactly my thoughts as well.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    ae. wrote: »

You don't want to know how much Forza spends on each car model, just to get them in house where we do final polish and setup.

I can't post exact numbers, but it's a LOT more than 9k.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    vvheris wrote: »
    Thank you for your answers :)

Well, i will make it more clear. We want the exteriors of the cars and wheels[windows will be black or filmed with really basic geometry inside]. Car bottom could be black. We would also bring low-quality models of the exteriors as well as concept art for the car, since we are not planning on using licensed cars at the moment. Since cars will be internally designed, there is a good chance that it will be less detailed then real cars. At our calculations, cars like this would take us around 10 work days if done internally.

a polycount would be most helpfull to calculate your cost.
    if you are talking non licensed low quality fantasy cars you might get away with less then 10k
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    ...... Dang. Anyone suddenly get the urge to switch to modeling cars instead of making girls with boobs ?