Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Musician's Throne - scmanol

A little about myself. I graduated from Durham College's Game Development program a year ago, focusing primarily on modeling and texturing. I haven't been putting the skills I learned there to good use since I graduated, so I'm really looking forward to diving back into the industry again!

I'm an avid watcher of Polycount, but haven't done any posting myself. So any critiques anyone has are greatly appreciated!

I really went out on a branch to find the concept that I'll be using for this contest.

I had a hard time coming up with any concepts. Everyone has such great designs, so I really want to step up my game. With the short time limit, I didn't want to take on anything too large. So I started surfing the internet, looking at different throne concepts, which cultures used thrones, new thrones, old decrepit thrones. None of them really stuck with me.

I decided to do the most basic thing I could think of. I Googled "throne". Wikipedia was the first hit, so I clicked it. At the very bottom of the page, there was an "Other Uses" heading. And under it, I found my inspiration: "In music, the stool used to sit behind a drum kit is often called a throne."

And so, my concept for the Throne Room.

Knowing that I have a smaller deadline due to my late start, I will be planning on doing a smaller scene while doing my best to reuse models without it looking corny.

The throne will consist of a drum kit. The drum kit will be elaborate, worn, and customized with stickers and scuffs from the owner. The seat will be used, possibly torn, and very bright to become the centerpiece.

The room that the throne will be placed in will be a sound room. Other instruments, chords, and amps will be scattered throughout. Not too many that it takes away from the throne itself. The walls will be padded and the floor will either be tile or wood.

I hope to use hand painted textures for the entirety of the scene. That being said, the models will have to work with the textures, so they may not be as realistic looking as I'm currently picturing in my mind.

The tools I plan on using include:
Autodesk Maya
ZBrush
UDK
Marmoset Toolbag
Adobe Photoshop
nDo2
Substance Painter
Substance Designer

I am waiting to purchase many of these programs. So time management will be key for me to complete this project.

I will also have a Trello board open for anyone interested!
https://trello.com/b/cYduizks