Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Court of the Green King - RedStuffExplodes

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
RedStuffExplodes polycounter lvl 4
Hello!

My throne room, “The Court of the Green King” is inspired by the great halls of Anglo-Saxon monarchy and nobleman. I am going to take heavy inspiration from their architecture, culture and art, but also use some artistic licence in the interest of making it as cool as possible. My spin on an admittedly clich

Replies

• RedStuffExplodes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To start i have amassed a bunch of reference into some rough categories. Here is some of it which i've assembled into mood boards.

Architectural Reference:

1QpjKuV.jpg?1

Props Reference:

Kgd9qvY.jpg?1
  • RedStuffExplodes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked into this blockout and concept for a while, as i wanted to nail down a space which is interesting enough on its own before any substantial set dressing.

V6H8m7a.jpg

Lighting the space effectively and interestingly is going to be a challenge, as I’m only really going to be able to work with natural light and some candle light, so I'm going to have to keep it open, but still make it feel like an enclosed space, reasonably protected from the elements.
    The throne at the end of the hall is built into an ancient oak tree, which is growing through an even older stone monument. I’m trying to make it look as though it has been a site of great significance long before the hall was constructed. I’ll go into my thoughts more on that when i get round to designing the Throne in more detail!

QeNiteV.jpg?1
  • RedStuffExplodes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To Model the hall block-out I used a bunch of modifiers arraying, bending and symmetrizing (if that's a word?) a small column and cladding section. This has kept the design flexible and easy to reconfigure until i finalize the shape, and start breaking it up into modular pieces. 7bnAZCk.jpg
  • RedStuffExplodes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking in the space with simple geometry and base diffuse textures to get the feel/lighting from the concept set up.
    VIYXqJ7.jpg

5tjhyDG.jpg
  • RedStuffExplodes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick paint-over of the current throne/tree

4XbkZf7.jpg

I'm going to incorporate the throne directly into the tree. I want to make it look as the though the throne has been formed and carved out of the tree itself. Currently the "Throne" just looks like the janitor has awkwardly left a chair in front of a nice focal point!