Home General Discussion

Best 3D software to choose in the industry?

Hey guys I am into this CG thing and i even got Studdent versions of Autodesk product..to learn and i am currently learning from Digital tutors.i am curious about what is the best softwere to learn? (sorry if VS VS VS are not allowed if so pls delete the thread)

I normally watch the Intro to the course in DT for different softtweres and they all seems to be pretty good.currently i am learning maya.
Is it good? can i do any 3D work in maya? it seem to be pretty powerful i mean it has tools in modeling to Simulation to rendering right?i do some googleing and it says maya sucks at modeling,why do they say that i am currently learning maya modeling and It is awesome fun to model with the modeling tool kit (it misses the shift and drag edge to extrude but it is OK) and it has some GREAT NURBS modeling tools (may sucks comparing to Rhino) and also Sub Ds

and 3Ds max seems bit Odd to me cuz it is more like a Good Modeling softwere but not a powerful one for riggin,animation and i see no good particle system and also it's missing NURBS TOOLS,does Max even have Sub ds?

houdini-I watch some tutorials in DT about this softwere and Tutor says it's known as the "pinnacle" of 3D programmes.he suggest it is a complete Softwere where u need no 3rd parties.

Softimage-arr idk about that

Modo-looks good but Not in my Style

Cinema 4D-it is good that's what the internet says,it has Mo-graph that can do insane Motion graphics?

Blender-Not bad for a free one right? but since it is free most of the studios are not using that right?

currently i am planing to move up with maya but i can choose another one too based on ur opinions but i also interested in doing Mo-Graphs except for Game and films. c4d seems the best for it can maya do Mo-graphics?

so this is what i feel and know about 3D softweres so pls give your opinion on what is the best one to choose cuz i start to learn recently and i can take a U-turn to another programme :)
and thanks.

Replies

• TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Either Maya or 3Dsmax should be fine I think. I'm sure I've seen a lot of people arguing either one has better/worse modelling/animation/rigging but it really is more preference.

I'd also add Zbrush onto that list if they have a student license available. Though I'd only start tackling that once you're comfortable with Maya/Max. Zbrush brings your models to a whole different level.

If you plan to do Motion Graphics, C4D is definitely the choice. I've done some Mographics with Maya and it takes longer most of the time. Don't forget Adobe After Effects for post-production, you're gonna need that too.
  • vskdharmasena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT wrote: »
    Either Maya or 3Dsmax should be fine I think. I'm sure I've seen a lot of people arguing either one has better/worse modelling/animation/rigging but it really is more preference.

I'd also add Zbrush onto that list if they have a student license available. Though I'd only start tackling that once you're comfortable with Maya/Max. Zbrush brings your models to a whole different level.

If you plan to do Motion Graphics, C4D is definitely the choice. I've done some Mographics with Maya and it takes longer most of the time. Don't forget Adobe After Effects for post-production, you're gonna need that too.

Thanks i already have cc subscription :) What about Mudbox is both of them are same? zbrush and Mudbox?
    and i would be love to heard from others too :)
  • WarrenM
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Hey guys I am into this CG thing and i even got Studdent versions of Autodesk product..to learn and i am currently learning from Digital tutors.i am curious about what is the best softwere to learn? (sorry if VS VS VS are not allowed if so pls delete the thread)

I normally watch the Intro to the course in DT for different softtweres and they all seems to be pretty good.currently i am learning maya.
    Is it good? can i do any 3D work in maya? it seem to be pretty powerful i mean it has tools in modeling to Simulation to rendering right?i do some googleing and it says maya sucks at modeling,why do they say that i am currently learning maya modeling and It is awesome fun to model with the modeling tool kit (it misses the shift and drag edge to extrude but it is OK) and it has some GREAT NURBS modeling tools (may sucks comparing to Rhino) and also Sub Ds

and 3Ds max seems bit Odd to me cuz it is more like a Good Modeling softwere but not a powerful one for riggin,animation and i see no good particle system and also it's missing NURBS TOOLS,does Max even have Sub ds?

houdini-I watch some tutorials in DT about this softwere and Tutor says it's known as the "pinnacle" of 3D programmes.he suggest it is a complete Softwere where u need no 3rd parties.

Cinema 4D-it is good that's what the internet says,it has Mo-graph that can do insane Motion graphics?

Blender-Not bad for a free one right? but since it is free most of the studios are not using that right?

currently i am planing to move up with maya but i can choose another one too based on ur opinions but i also interested in doing Mo-Graphs except for Game and films. c4d seems the best for it can maya do Mo-graphics?

so this is what i feel and know about 3D softweres so pls give your opinion on what is the best one to choose cuz i start to learn recently and i can take a U-turn to another programme :)
    and thanks.
    If you're planning to join a VFX studio, I think you're only real option is probably Maya.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM wrote: »

Wish I could give you +rep or something for this. Gold. Max, Maya, and Modo are used pretty regularly across PC by many people to create SubD work. My personal preference is Maya simply because I enjoy its organic toolset compared to Max's slightly more linear stack workflow. MODO is pretty tempting with its Mesh Fusion tools and Tor Frick's badassery... cus obviously whatever he uses will make me a badass too, right?

Which 3D app you use is ENTIRELY personal preference these days as you can do just about anything across any of these suites. Like I said in your other thread, truck loads of info across Polycount that can help with your decision Max and Maya are game industry standards currently, with Modo being used a little bit more day by day by artists.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    To be honest, Blender spits out pretty solid and functional .fbx files for game engines to use, and it's getting even better quite fast in these days. So, at least I hope to use it most of the time in near future.
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    To the OP, I would say there is no 'best' in the big-picture sense of the word. There is simply 'applicable,' 'pertinent,' 'practical' or whatever other category/categories that fit. The truth is that all the applications you listed are all very good, but all have strengths and weaknesses - and may or may not be useful to know depending on what it is you are trying to do, where you want to work, etc.

Without really knowing your goals, it's hard to say where your study and practice time is best spent. Most professional studios (i.e. studios that hire and pay) have either Maya or Max as a their foundation tool and all other tools radiate from that hub. But that is not an absolute law of the universe, nor should you feel confined to use only those tools. Just my own opinion here, but I wouldn't even try to get into 'the industry' (whatever that means these days) if I didn't have a solid knowledge of either tool simply because the methods and working files in those tools are the common parlance.

My practical advice would be to focus on Maya first and then work in other programs. Max is probably the natural next tool to learn. From there, it's not as obvious which tool you would want to or should learn...probably Zbrush (especially now, since R7 is the thing).

And it depends completely on your goals. If you want to be an environment/mechanical modeler, then you have some options in how you do things and which tools are best for the job. Even then, what kind of hard-surface/environmental art are you going for? Landscapes with lots of terrains and natural, organic things or space stations, modern cities, etc.?

If you want to sculpt characters, then you'll need to spend your time working in Zbrush (Mudbox and 3DCoat are used far less than the big Z).If your desire is to be an animator these days, probably no sense in spending much time in anything other than Maya.

The good news is that you can build on what you know, so if you have to change tool sets, you'll already have skills in place to assist in a tool migration. And, hopefully, you'll be able to articulate (at least to yourself) why one tool is better-suited for a task than another.

The biggest issue of all, though, is demonstrating your skill with the tools. It's far more important to make your art as phenomenal as possible and I think there is often an over-reliance on tools when artistic ability is the really vital thing. And in that case, I would say, keep things simple. Speaking from experience, you can get so caught up in chasing tools and technology that you lose sight of making the best art possible. Of course it's a technological industry we are in and knowing tools is paramount, but, really, truly, it's the result (model, sculpture, texture, animation, etc.) that matters the most, not the tool you used to make it.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11

Excellent points.
  • vskdharmasena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird wrote: »
    To the OP, I would say there is no 'best' in the big-picture sense of the word. There is simply 'applicable,' 'pertinent,' 'practical' or whatever other category/categories that fit. The truth is that all the applications you listed are all very good, but all have strengths and weaknesses - and may or may not be useful to know depending on what it is you are trying to do, where you want to work, etc.

Without really knowing your goals, it's hard to say where your study and practice time is best spent. Most professional studios (i.e. studios that hire and pay) have either Maya or Max as a their foundation tool and all other tools radiate from that hub. But that is not an absolute law of the universe, nor should you feel confined to use only those tools. Just my own opinion here, but I wouldn't even try to get into 'the industry' (whatever that means these days) if I didn't have a solid knowledge of either tool simply because the methods and working files in those tools are the common parlance.

My practical advice would be to focus on Maya first and then work in other programs. Max is probably the natural next tool to learn. From there, it's not as obvious which tool you would want to or should learn...probably Zbrush (especially now, since R7 is the thing).

And it depends completely on your goals. If you want to be an environment/mechanical modeler, then you have some options in how you do things and which tools are best for the job. Even then, what kind of hard-surface/environmental art are you going for? Landscapes with lots of terrains and natural, organic things or space stations, modern cities, etc.?

If you want to sculpt characters, then you'll need to spend your time working in Zbrush (Mudbox and 3DCoat are used far less than the big Z).If your desire is to be an animator these days, probably no sense in spending much time in anything other than Maya.

The good news is that you can build on what you know, so if you have to change tool sets, you'll already have skills in place to assist in a tool migration. And, hopefully, you'll be able to articulate (at least to yourself) why one tool is better-suited for a task than another.

The biggest issue of all, though, is demonstrating your skill with the tools. It's far more important to make your art as phenomenal as possible and I think there is often an over-reliance on tools when artistic ability is the really vital thing. And in that case, I would say, keep things simple. Speaking from experience, you can get so caught up in chasing tools and technology that you lose sight of making the best art possible. Of course it's a technological industry we are in and knowing tools is paramount, but, really, truly, it's the result (model, sculpture, texture, animation, etc.) that matters the most, not the tool you used to make it.

Thank you for all of your opinions.
    My goal is to be someday become a 3D modeler in a studio.and if i couldn't do it i think of using my skills to freelance.
    so with how you guys said,I must stick with Maya and learn it and then try something like zbrush or so right?
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you for all of your opinions.
    My goal is to be someday become a 3D modeler in a studio.and if i couldn't do it i think of using my skills to freelance.
    so with how you guys said,I must stick with Maya and learn it and then try something like zbrush or so right?

It's just my opinion, naturally, but I would advise you to get as good as you can with Maya if you want to work at an established studio. If freelance is your goal, then there really aren't too many rules as long as you deliver a model in the file format that makes your client happy.

I personally prefer Modo and Blender and another Rhino-like tool called MoI for modeling, but I have learned the hard way I don't know if I'll always get to choose or use the tools I prefer on the job. In one particular instance, I had no choice but to use what a company provided and it wasn't up for discussion. My experience is probably pretty rare, but I learned a lesson from that and I think it's worth noting. So, while I might like other tools more, I will never forsake the big two of Maya and Max.

Maya's tools are very, very good and plenty of pros produce amazing work with just Maya. The added benefit of working mainly in Maya is that you'll get better with it the more you use it. That's kind of an obvious thing to say, I guess, but it is worth something on the job. You won't have to think so much about where the tools are, you can customize it to work the way you like, and you'll be able to try out the other features, like rigging and animation which can also assist in certain modeling tasks.
  • vskdharmasena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird wrote: »
    It's just my opinion, naturally, but I would advise you to get as good as you can with Maya if you want to work at an established studio. If freelance is your goal, then there really aren't too many rules as long as you deliver a model in the file format that makes your client happy.

I personally prefer Modo and Blender and another Rhino-like tool called MoI for modeling, but I have learned the hard way I don't know if I'll always get to choose or use the tools I prefer on the job. In one particular instance, I had no choice but to use what a company provided and it wasn't up for discussion. My experience is probably pretty rare, but I learned a lesson from that and I think it's worth noting. So, while I might like other tools more, I will never forsake the big two of Maya and Max.

Maya's tools are very, very good and plenty of pros produce amazing work with just Maya. The added benefit of working mainly in Maya is that you'll get better with it the more you use it. That's kind of an obvious thing to say, I guess, but it is worth something on the job. You won't have to think so much about where the tools are, you can customize it to work the way you like, and you'll be able to try out the other features, like rigging and animation which can also assist in certain modeling tasks.
    Thank you very much for your opinion.
    and thank you all other for their opinions too.
    This Fourm is Friendly thank others Way more friendly :D