Home Technical Talk

Problems with polypaint

asdaq
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
asdaq polycounter lvl 4
hello,

I got an issue with polypaint. Did some search yesterday on both ZBCentral and Polycount but didn't find any clues what I am doing wrong.

Here's what's wrong:

HNHs8Ny.jpg

on the left: polypainted material with standard white matcap on
on the right: I want to switch to stadard material to add some lights and grab some view of it. (matcaps doesn't work with standard lights, right?) The second I switch base white matcap to anything else (matcap or standard material, no difference) I get some weird stains on the polypaint.

what I checked:
no layers,
no hidden masks,
no hidden geometry
and
no clue what's wrong.

Appreciate any hints that could lead to finding what's wrong. Same thread is waiting to be approved on ZBCentral.

Replies

• Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    It looks like you painted some matcap on the character. So if you switch to another matcap it displays both.

It's easy to fix. At the top of the screen, select just the M mode (not Mrgb!) and click Color > Fill object. It will fil the selected subtool with the current matcap.
  • asdaq
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    @Popol

It worked! Thank you.
    Although I had no idea I could paint the matcap. There is going to be some heavy reading of the ZB help files later today.

Big thanks again!

Edit: hate to say it but I got stuck one step further, if I add lights - they have no effect on the subtools I filled with the matcap:

M4W1QBW.jpg

added a sphere to check if the lights are working ok and they seem to be fine. The upper body subtool was filled with the matcap and it ignores the light.

any hint how to get this polypainted model to work with light will be greatly appreciated.
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    No problem, glad I could help you =)
  • asdaq
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    bumping this one up again - edited last post with another issue.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Edit: hate to say it but I got stuck one step further, if I add lights - they have no effect on the subtools I filled with the matcap:

Matcaps don't really use lights, it's all baked into the matcap image (at best changing the light might change the shadow direction, if you have shadows set to render). To take full advantage of zbrush's light system you have to use one of the standard materials (the lower half of the material list). Those will update with the lights