Home Unreal Engine

Maya n Unreal

Muk
Muk
I saw there was a thread with Max + Unreal - with useful scripts and workflows. I'd like to know if somebody has suggestions for Maya + Unreal.

First problem I've encounted is that I've been spending too long time on my lightmaps, there must be a better way. Does anyone have a script that layouts my UVs with 2-4 pixels between each shell, and fills UVs to the border?

I am using Maya out of the box, is there any must have scripts/addons?

Best Regards
Muk

Replies

• Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not sure about any scripts (but I'd love to hear if there are any!)
    Which version of Maya are you using? I found that the new UV tools in 2015 (The updated unfold tool specifically) actually do it fairly well on thier own.
  • Muk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muk
    I just upgraded to 2015. I need to get used to the new unfold, as I was really used to the old unfold method (and that seems kinda bugged in 2015), even though it was a bit tedious.

There has to be someone with a script that layouts the lightmap UVs correctly for Unreal ;-)
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    No script necessary, the UV Layout tool works pretty well. Copy your diffuse/UV set 0 into a new UV set, and run Layout. I love the new Unfold3d unfold algorithm, but you can always switch back to the legacy version in the Unfold tool settings.
  • Muk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muk
    It is decent, but if I am not mistaken lightmap isn't affected by the borders in Unreal, I believe that's what I read on their site - and I cannot get the layout to ignore the border overlapping, so it creates spaces around the border.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    True, but that's very minimal. If you're using very low res lightmaps where that extra few pixels of wasted border space is an impact, you could just scale up your UV's a bit after running Layout. Or, go keep an eye on the IPackThat thread :)

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145328