Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Arbiter's Abyss - Ryacabral

Ryacabral
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ryacabral polycounter lvl 6
Participant: Me, Myself, and I

The Arbiter's Abyss is built upon flowing water. A serene place where a man sits up top hearing out the workings of the land. He sits up high held up by those many to bring judgement and restore order to the realm. Those that petition him are brought close to the water to humble themselves as they glance up towards a divine figure just short of a being a god. A holy light is cast down upon him from the heavens to help intensify the effect. Behind stands a large doorway that leads to the heavens. Who would doubt this man's word?

Programs: Luxology's Modo 801 (only know modo and I love it, learning maya...but it wont be joining me on this one)
Pixologic's Zbrush
Substance Designer
Substance Painter
Adobe's Photoshop CS6 (not sure how much actually)
Marmoset Toolbag 2
Unreal Engine 4

I hope to keep up with updating fairly regularly. I feel it might help me brainstorm and motivate me to push forward. Should I not finish in time it is till my goal to complete the project for my own personal portfolio. Lord knows I don't have enough of that yet...literally.

Workstation at the moment Covered with art books and sketchbook.
Books currently there are Art of: Theif, Assassin's Creed Unity, Uncharted 2. I picked up the Art of Blizzard Yesterday And have been looking at the Art of God of War. Plenty of castle books and cathedral ones line my shelves for further reference.

UaTjEG8.jpg

References scouring the web. Looked at a lot of Roman Stuff. I also checked out other influences from Asian and Indian cultures. I have a few really neat Architecture books. "The Element of Style" and "The Grammar of Architecture" are packed full of good info as well as styles.

cKnGXXG.png
eeoLm4h.png

Drawings: All Drawings are scribbled quickly by me. I find it helps me come up with ideas much faster then experimenting in 3D sometimes. I can flesh out ideas and simple scribble over old ones with new designs super fast. Sometimes that gives me a few other's I hadn't considered.

Ceiling Design Layout Concept: More rounded shapes. Just an idea of a shape and potential details as I build.
YjJd4Kz.jpg

Main Entrance Concept: I've considered more grand approaches but have decided against it. There will be several entrances to the front. The idea here is to show that anyone may enter for whatever news, dispute, and on-goings of court. They may pitch their ideas. I want to include an eye to the front to show that the gods do indeed watch. I currently want to cut holes around the edges of the eye and it's pupil so that light may shine in and illuminate speakers or just be a friendly reminder to the person on the throne that they are still watched by the gods.
joAiHs9.jpg

Potential Entrance Floor Layout Concept: I am working hard to incorporate round circles everywhere I can. Thus I'm making it so that other entrances actually stand on stop of more rounded steps.
hRPjuFe.jpg

Beholding the Throne Room Concept: I started sketching this based off of my original quick blockout of my stage. Flipping through references I decided I want my throne sitting on the backs of 3 giants holding up. They represent all of man. They also sit on a single platform to help reinforce that. The arbitor stands in front of a large and grand doorway which I want to represent a portal to the gods or higher meaning. Still putting more thought into it.
oW9zgqJ.jpg

Redraw Throne Room Concept: I was hoping to eek more ideas out of drawing the front view again. I got a few new ideas that I didn't have previously like the hanging torches. I also decided on the archways to move over the bridges to the sides. I may try another angle soon.
NrV0BRP.jpg

Bridge Concept: Gana Redo this one soon as get playing with it again. This is a quick concept for the two bridges that line the sides of the throne room. They lead to stairs that eventually lead up to where the throne is. Above there would be hanging torches to help light the way. I'm trying to work out more symbolism for the bridges though...
Y3uUNik.jpg

Screenshots from 1/31/15. (Blocking)
MHyvfxL.png
t1ar5vx.png
yIoWR8l.png

Screenshots from 2/1/15 (blocking) Main updates are creation of ceiling (twice accidentally deleted it after finishing). Working out placement of pillars and lines of sight.
psBm0GH.png
4DOmwJC.png
wo6olOs.png

Replies

• Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I focused mainly on the ceiling. I also redid a bit of my floor layout and positioning. Nothing really worth looking at right now. I spent probably far more time then I should have on getting some dividers to look right. I've thought of faster methods for the future of getting it done. Tomorrow I will focus on my walls and getting those not so baron.
    2/2/15
    mQcxQna.png
  • Dyspie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the shape of the room!
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2/3/15
    Today I meant to focus on blocking out my walls a little more. Instead I started designing some pillars to place along the walls, added a little more to the ceiling, realigned the bottom section as well as made the water transparent so I could work on shapes below the surface (which I'm adding stairs from each of the circular platforms to the water's Bottom).

Tomorrow I want to continue on the wall designs as well as rework my blocking of the Throne area.

fZCImKD.png
    zmUOp10.png
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dyspie I really appreciate the thought!

2/4/15
    Today I did as I set out to and focused on more wall design. I designed yet another pillar and placed it into my throne area walls. I used a God of War Art book to get some reference (though a lot of the images are kinda hard to see) There is really cool stuff in there.
    I also reworked some of the layout around the throne. Its still got a ways to go but I'm beginning to really see the direction it is headed.

Not as much work on the ceiling this time but rather it's connection to the main side walls.

I brainstormed the idea of adding a form of aqueduct system in the room But I think that might be much. Instead I've thought up an idea where water could be falling next to the throne. I know just where to put it too...couple really cool ideas there that I need to sketch up.

I've posted some of my scribbles as I brainstorm away ideas. They seems incomprehensible to others but it helps me think. Lots of quick elimination of ideas that wont work and scribbling other shapes that I might try. Fun stuff.

uVE8GzH.png
    5508FXY.png
    WOBS7IG.jpg
    Mwziydz.jpg
    VV7mNVK.jpg
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2/6/15
    Today I focused on redesigning the bridges at each side. I also continued realigning everything again. Lots of problem solving since I actually had to play with several sizes of circle platforms and heights of this bridge. I decided to go with a shape the was not symmetrical going horizontally like my original plan. I'm happy with how they are turning out. I've gotta play with the pillars still on the sides and I may also add some form of railing.

30u5mU3.jpg
    PAizi9i.png
    BAwSyIO.png
    4ghWp6p.png
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2-7/15
    Had to realign again...Other then that finished working on side-bridges for now and designed a gazebo structure for central entrance area. I plan on fleshing it out a bit more so that it fits in more. I also added waterfall areas flowing besides the throne. More re-positioning of of elements. Also added massive pillar like structure to help connect walls a bit better. I will have to refine it at some point. Tomorrow I aim to work on the throne area more and perhaps add other channels for the water. Also start brainstorming the throne itself.

SrDZS06.png
    UXPiTci.png
    viecyBF.png
  • AavaChan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AavaChan polycounter lvl 6
    I think you have an interesting layout, I like the water elements in this. It reminds me of water temples from the zelda games.
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AavaChan!

Zelda was one of my original influences when I started. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of zelda reference...a lot of what I find is not very useful. Slowly it's coming together though.
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2-10-15
    couldn't do to much over the weekend. Had to watch the house and I ran into a bit of a wall as I tried to design the throne for this. I'm still brainstorming unfortunately. I did model out a gothic throne but decided it didn't fit the room. Another change I made was I felt the room was still too vast. To fix that I scaled it in more. I may do this one more time depending on how things look. I've started sculpting out a dragon head to use as fountains for water to pour into the water. I'm hoping to add two brass dragon sculptures next to the throne with water coming down. Here's shots of that progress thus far...

NpEpzGQ.png
    bpl6w1Z.jpg
    mHU35ty.jpg
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2/11/15
    I was hoping to get to the low poly today. Mainly I did the detailing part of the work. Had a lot of situations today that took me away from it unfortunately. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it done.

WWTqIHb.png
    ykuLDv7.png
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2/15/15
    It's taken a lot longer then anticipated to get this to low poly But here it is!. I managed it. I UVed and Baked the Normal in Substance Designer.

This is going to be a large statue with water flooding through the mouth into the water.

yglY7pS.png
  • josfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with AavaChan: Very nice idea with the water elements. Looking forward to more progress on your piece ;-)
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of progress as of late. So I started this project with no knowledge of UDK or Unreal 4. I now possess a lot more knowledge after cramming for the last week on it. The announcer tutorial man now seems like a close friend. Blueprints, materials, camera controls, water creation via gerstner wave (not quite getting something together but learning a buttload from my many frustrations with that one), and a shout out to the pub games for having great tutorials.

Lots of recreation of assets including the putting together of some high polys. Those being of my arch with the spirals, Rounded stairs leading down, and one pillar. I've recognized the importance of modular pieces and have started building a modular architectural piece library. I've got a ton more to do. Gosh and I'm going to GDC next week! Sigh...there is never enough time.

I also studied modo shortcuts. This is an amazing doc for optimization of modo if anyone is interested.
    http://henningsanden.com/2013/03/31/how-to-optimize-modo-for-faster-modeling/

Unreal Inspiration
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1H5DRQ_L8[/ame]

Water I studied for long hours and have only made some headway in...will continue later when I'm not crunching.
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?7440-Dynamic-physical-ocean

Pub Games:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPmRV1Z9ikY[/ame]

If yall have anything interesting to throw my way to help with my limited knowledge I'd super appreciate it!

Anyways here's what unreal 4 is looking like so far.
    2/23/15
    8XSry9t.png
    PBZ2Lli.png
    V1APZee.png
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been rough between work and scrambling to get everything together for GDC. I've managed to put together some modular pieces. There are oh so many more to make But so far I've gotten over pretty well with just these few. Tomorrow I've got to print out portfolio stuff and redo a few things for my website. Time is short...

2/26/15
    AtdDapl.png

91PGDQV.png
  • Ryacabral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back from GDC around 2am in the morning. So nothing done during that time :( . However I did learn a ton! Met quite a few hip guys willing to give me all sorts of tips! Unfortunately work was busy today so I didn't get too much done. However afterwards I was able to at least start my concept model for my dragon fountain statues. Everything is still pretty smushy and is subject to change. But its amazing how much faster I am at building shapes after talking to a few people. Shout out to Michael Pavlovich for all his wonderful insights! I'll include some of his great tutorials in this post.

812yhZj.png
    nBeNnv1.png

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/sculpting-with-michael-pavlovich/
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PxbvR57tNI&list=PLkzopwqcFevaOxmO07wWe7X-mpL7h_onn[/ame]
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVO2Y-Va0bc[/ame]