Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Lion and Falcon - DanielC

Okay so after a while of starting and scrapping ideas among myself I've decided on a piece. Using symbolism of the Lion and Falcon I want to incorporate that into a civilization. A civilization where they divide people into houses or factions which share a characteristic of either the Lion or the Falcon. Each family's house will have a motif representing their faction, different fighting styles, the clothing, etc. Of course this is about the throne room of the King and he will share both of the characteristics of the Lion and Falcon. This civilization cannot be ruled by someone who has a more dominant "lion" or "falcon" it has to be just right or he/she cannot rule.
I'm still going to spend the rest of this weekend fleshing out the details of the throne room and its assets but as you can see I want it to be in a cave but the cave is underneath his palace. I want most of the lighting to be from within the cave with self emitting stones that are native to the cave and some being carved into statues. With the exception of a hole at the sealing just a few feet in front of the steps of the throne to bring in natural light. This light will illuminate an area in front of the throne so the king can have a clear site of whomever is talking to him but they can't fully see him.
I want to really push the context/story of my scene but find that right balance so it's not super cluttered. Okay, enough chatter, below are my concepts, ideas, and reference images for colors and such. C&C/ideas are appreciated . I'm also loving a lot of the pieces that have already been posted keep it up guys/gals.

Tools I'll be using,
Maya
Mudbox
Photoshop
Substance Painter/Designer