Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – <Hall of Ribbed Stone> – nyloc

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
nyloc polycounter lvl 8
hey polycount, its been a long while since i've posted anything on these forums but i'm looking forward to participating in this challenge. I initially had a teammate lined but i'm now going solo to work on my own idea.

I've always been a huge fan of gothic style architecture ever since being a kid visiting Europe. My idea is to take those existing elements / structures to create new shapes and silhouettes. I did some very rough line sketches to get a general idea of where I want to go with this to get a good establishing shot. I have a good idea of what I want the lighting and colors to end up like in my head so i'll save your eyes from my horrible 2d coloring /shading skills and use unreal as my paint brush for lighting.

I really like the idea of the throne being held up by the flying buttresses with it being suspended over a deep canyon of ribbed stone (basically ceiling fan vaulting turned upside down). The walkway to the throne has no railing making it quite intimidating to walk onto with there being a significant drop on either side.

I'll be using zbrush, maya and unreal with hopes of having time to also learn Allegorithimic's software to help texture.

cc always welcome!

Throne_Thumbs_CA_02.jpg

Replies