Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Even the Mighty Fall - juoolz

juoolz
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
juoolz polycounter lvl 3
"Even the Mighty Fall"

Man shall never be subdued!

In a not to distant future among the ruins of a dilapidated building lie the remains of a great war machine. A beacon of hope and a symbol of strength!

Personal Goals
I want to explore/challenge myself on a couple of things on this project. I am a big fan of UE4's potential in creating realistic looking environments. So I want to make this look as real as possible.
I also want to bring the concept of a throne room to a modern day setting. How the throne is actually a symbol of strength that has the power to unite people under a common cause. (well in my idealistic point of view anyway :)
Finally I want to build on my substance painter texturing.

Tools
Maya
Mudbox
Substance Painter
(Possibly Substance Designer)
UE4
Photoshop

This should be a lot of fun so good luck to everyone :)

Replies

• juoolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juoolz polycounter lvl 3
    iUsjEIj.jpg

Im not a concept artist but the attached image is a relatively good representation for the direction I want to move in.

The Mech is just a placeholder and I need to build on it. In the final the Mech will also be open exposing the pilot seat...throne.

I also like the idea of the Mech haven fallen through the wall of a classic auditorium exposing the sky with shafts of light beaming down in to the throne room...and possibly directly on to the pilot seat...however I don't want it to look too staged so will see what that looks like.

I also want to explore a bit of a back story that will help me with props such as banners and machinery. But I haven't quite agreed with myself on what that should be.
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    That concept is nice! Hopefully you can get it all done in time.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUCH a great idea! Damn you. :)
  • juoolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juoolz polycounter lvl 3
    Okay so I have been away for a while...and yes I hope i can get this finished :/

in the meantime I have fallen in love with SD a bit. Took a bit hammering tutorials and testing but here is my first texture. Some old stone.

lrjGcYR.png
  • juoolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juoolz polycounter lvl 3
    Optimised and cleaner version. Thanks to "cgvinny" for giving great advice on how to improve.

If you want it you can also download it here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j5gis7fpx7yrb6u/AABoBHP6rNtaKt5HsMSpFAx-a?dl=0

gQVucQx.png
  • juoolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juoolz polycounter lvl 3
    Right unfortunately time has not been on my side. I have spend a lot of time getting my head round Substance designer as well as the FX and Dynamic functions...but still a long way to go looking at the talent on this forum.

Anyway put this ship together for the crash...changed a little from the original direction but felt in the time given it would be a little more practical + It was all done in SD as a little personal challenge :)

KTq3ZUE.png