Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Warrior Animation Project

UberLou
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
UberLou polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys! Wanted to post an animation project I've been working on for at least 3 years on and off. I do game animations all day so this has been more of an experimental learning project.

The characters are 3D and composited to achieve a 2D look. Backgrounds are 2D. I'm not very good at modeling so the cartoon rendering helps hide that a little.
mainChar01.jpg

I originally had a story and started doing concepts for it all, but I didn't really have enough time (or talent) to execute it well. So I boiled it down to a fight scene so I could concentrate on the parts I was really interested in - the look and the animation.
FinalRenderTest01.jpg

Watching Last Airbender\Korra really got me interested in animating at 12fps and I learned a lot framing through those shows. I've been experimenting with smear frames and whether I should do that in 3D or paint them in Photoshop. Here's a very WIP gif showing that.

anrw2nK.gif

And finally, here is a video showing off some of the more finished but still WIP scenes.
To8fsVs.jpg

That's it for now. Any crits or anything are very welcome.

-Lou

Replies

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Real great stuff Lou!

How did you do the composition? Just render out the 3d in maya/max and do everything else in After Effects? I'd love to hear a bit more about your process/challenges with going in 12fps.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Wow ! Really like that look. I like the idea of animating on fewer fps on purpose.
  • Forty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forty polycounter lvl 2
    That's a really interesting way of doing things, both the overall look and the animating. Are you animating as usual with the program set to 12 fps, or are you using stepped keys to get the noticeable jump between poses?

All I'd add really is that I'd make the guy move more vertically during his run, a bit of up and down motion might help sell the speed of the run.
  • UberLou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UberLou polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the comments!

@heboltz3 Yeah for the compositing it's just rendering out a few passes, diffuse, shadow, rim lighting, etc. Then layering them in After Effects.
    Animating at 12fps is fun but also a big challenge. Every frame is hand keyed with almost no interpolation. The trickiest part is bringing the animation into After Effects. The composition runs at 24fps and the animation runs at 12fps. A lot of the movement (translation across the screen) has to happen at 24 or else it looks choppy. Usually, I'm animating characters in place in Max then doing all the translation in After Effects. There's a lot to it and I'm planning to do a process write up when the project is done.

@Forty I have Max set to 12fps. I would use stepped keys, but biped doesn't support that as far as I'm aware. It's not a huge deal anyway since I'm usually keying the whole body every frame anyway. The biggest annoyance is that when I play the animation in Max, it plays inbetween frames so I have to playblast it constantly.
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannyannymation polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking really awesome, love the way that creature moves and the way you used his tail to blackout the screen. Can't wait to see more!