Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Shadow Assassin Animation Set [Unity]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys!

For once, I'm glad I haven't posted a week earlier, now I can break in this brand spanking new animation forum. (thank you based polycount)

So I'll be using Weishengs ninja assassin again, the same model I used for the Riot Contest. However the goal is much larger this time.

I'll be creating and implementing a full animation set (unarmed and armed states) into Unity. There will be mulitple run states and attacks, so things will get a bit interesting. I'll be scripting all the animation controllers and making the shaders using shader forge. I'm also going to be looking into cloth for the first time, which I'm excited about.

At the moment the only animation worth showing is the sprint cycle:
d643755863abb6a67007e658357516ad.jpg

Most of the week has been spent creating stubs, setting up anim-graphs and working out the kinks in the prelim locomotion states. Heres some screen grabs with the first iterations of the graphs.

Main Graph
931ffa760b1a32347f8473458c890650.jpg

Locomotion Graph
958ff9ae8928663d7ce25562cee238af.jpg

And heres a final in Engine shot.
acd1b394162229e2cc28a48db2055364.jpg

I'm hoping to learn alot while doing this, so any crits or questions, please fire away.

These first few posts will definitely be about getting paint on canvas and seeing how the project as a whole starts to develop.

Replies

• HowToTrainAZombie
    the character looks really cool. I also like how you added a diagram to represent his motions. The only critique I have is that his animation looks like he is being too loud because of his wide stride during the run. Not sure how you'd remedy this, but perhaps some brainstorming may lead to some ideas.
  • dannyannymation
    Offline / Send Message
    dannyannymation polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there fellow riot contest enterer! Looking really cool!

I like what you've got so far but think your run cycle could use a little more work, the spine is quite stiff and could be loosened up a lot. I'm not sure about the poses on the arms either, they are a little 'flaily' and could be a bit tighter, especially as its a ninja character. Think sleek yet powerful, stealthy (if that's what you are going for anyway)

The Unity stuff is something I have been interested in for some time now, is it using mecanim? I was wondering if you are following a tutorial and if that's something you could share?
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Yeah the run cycle is still pretty wip-y. I'll admit I was quick to post because I wanted to jump in on the anim forum right away, haha. Since I'm trying to ride the line between anime and cartoony pretty close he will definitely need to be loosened up, and while I totally agree about the arms the general movement is something Im leaning towards. I want the arms to show more movement when he is un-armed vs having his sword out when his arms will be super tight.

I don't really have a tutorial on me that is a one size fits all, but feel free to hit me up on skype if you have any specific questions! I'd love to help out if you are looking to learn :)

Thanks for the comment man!
  • UberLou
    Offline / Send Message
    UberLou polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with the crit on the arms. Maybe having them hold at the extreme poses for a few frames longer could help lessen the flailing feeling. I also think the chest could rotate a little more with the arms. It feels like they're separate from the main body.
    On your model it's hard to tell but the knee seems really low. Maybe it's the pants giving that illusion.
    I found some ref from Mark of the Ninja. The posing on the legs are really good.

Can't wait to see this guy running around in game. Man I love Unity. Wish I could program well and do more with it.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Lou! Thanks for the crit. As soon as Danny mentioned that, I had the exact same thought about the arms and the torso.

And the mark of the Ninja ref is awesome! Thanks alot! I've just been using 8-bit gifs from the Naruto GBA games, haha!
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally some Updates to share! These boston snow storms can't keep me down.

So here is a video of the first playable "milestone" I guess you could say.

The functionality is pretty much how I want it, and most of the animation stubs are in, some a little more polished than others but nothing is final.

Here is a link to a download, so you can run the exe and run around if you so desire.

Admittedly, alot of the focus right now has not been on the animation but on general scene/techy stuff, getting it to feel the way I think it should.

I will say that the general timing of the animations (besides the running jump/walking jump) is where I think it should be.

Here's my general thoughts,

Good - The anim graph is responding as it should, and I think with some minor blending animations in specific places, it will be feeling as tight as I think it should look, so I feel like I can finally start digging into what this project is all about, the animation.

Okay - The camera is in an acceptable state, but I'm starting to hit my edge of C# knowledge with it. I think at the moment it gets the job done, but I wish I could push it a little further, less rotation based off the target, more smoothing between movements/ from static cam to free cam.

Ugly - The cloth. Interactive/Skinned Cloth both seem to not function properly, and I've yet to find a tutorial that is kind of "Unity's Cloth For Complete Beginners" so I'm having to wing it and use a jiggle script at the moment to get me an effect that I think will look okayish. I could always hand key, but I really want to use this as an opportunity to jump into the world of simulation.

Also the skinning is going to need another couple of passes before its super-fine.

So yeah! I'd love some feed back on pretty much anything, but specifically the timing of the animations, the transitions/action feedback , and the camera's general feel.

Thanks for checking it out guys! There's alot more to come, but I'm feeling good about with the progress I'm making.
  • SeedyRom
    Hey Harry! :D I'm really digging this!

First, I think I agree with you in that your timing is pretty solid.
    Second, I think you are super close to really defining this character!

I think the run is probably the best animation you have going for this guy (more a fan of the arms moving run than the arms back run (though that one is still pretty good)). The speed of the limbs is there but I think the arms could use some more attention. I like the wide arm run you have going but I think you could really sell it by extending the forearms when the arms reach their peak swinging backwards.

I'm not sure how much control over the jog animation you have, like if it can be anything but a slowed down run, it feels a bit floaty to me. I think he hangs in the air just a bit too long and that might just be because the jog animation itself is a bit too slow? I'm not too sure about this one heh :/

The jumps seem pretty good to me. The only thing bothered me was the impact animation. I think the down part of the animation should happen a lot quicker, hold maybe a fraction longer than you have it now, and then pop back up.

Those are really the major things that stood out to me.

I love where this is going and I know you'll make this awesome! <3
    I'll definitely be sticking around this thread. :D
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chazbo!

Yeah the Sprint captures the vibe I want throughout the entire locomotion set the most. I have total control over the jog, and if I'm honest, its the animation that I feel doesn't fit the most right now. I definitely want it to feel heavier/faster, so I'm thinking I'll have to recalculate the cycles/frames. Probably cut out about a fourth(ish) of the frames or so.

Thanks for the crits!